Author Topic: Terminator 2 playfield resto - Part II  (Read 4779 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Terminator 2 playfield resto - Part II
« on: January 12, 2009, 07:47:07 PM »
Hi Guys,

OK, this is the second time around on my T2 PF.  The first I documented on AA.  Basically the PF was sound, no major paint wear but the inserts were badly worn, lifting, missing and not good.  The operator at some stage had put mylar over it, which I think saved further damage thankfully.  The machine was purchased AS IS - at a very good price so these issues were well known.  I put a decal kit on, but I was dissapointed with the actual inserts - as all the white highlighting was not on them, which made them very dull.  I was also missing the shoulder / collar bone bits on the T2 in the middle.  At the time, I just wanted to get the game playing so I put down some mylar over the decals (lower half of PF) and away we go.

Nearly 12 months on, and after nearly selling her, I've decided to give it another go - with a little bit more experience under my belt and now this place up and running hopefully I can get her back to nearly new.

Sooo, today I started stripping the PF and have removed the old new mylar and decals.  Thankfully, the new old mylar was a cheapish one / or they just don't make it the same.  It came off very well - although it helps with diamond coat underneith)....I will continue to strip rest of PF.  There is some further factory mylar around pop bumpers etc, so I will be super careful around here as it might be day 1 stuff. 

It now needs a better clean too, so it will be scrubbed up perfect before the next move...There is some 'scarring' on the green multiply (x) inserts.  Previously where the original stuff had broken away you can still see the wear mark on it.  I did give it a very light sand before the new decals went on, but didn't help.  If anyone has some advise in this area I would appreciate it.  IF I can avoid replacing them that is my preference....

I've emailed Marco's to try to find out about the decals.  IF my previous were a bad batch - then so be it and I will order another set to go on again.  With some help, hopefully I can rebuild / decal the shoulders which will solve another problem.  I will need to paint around the teeth as the decal does not cover the entire area either??

I will post further updates as I go...Hopefully may inspire those other members here to finish their T2's as well!!  ^^^

As far as the finished product goes - I think putting a clear coat on would be best - maybe two coats.  My panel beater friend who does my aprons for me was a bit hesitant to do the PF...So if there is someone in Melb with the skills please let me know+rough cost to clear!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 06:16:34 PM by MartyJ »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Terminator 2 playfield resto - Part II
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 08:37:12 PM »

Great start Marty - Keep the updates coming !

#*#
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 09:30:37 PM »
cant wait to see th results mate. Nice!

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 10:32:20 PM »
I'm looking forward to having it finished again too.  Going to take my time with this one and hopefully get it right!

Playfield is about 95% stripped.  Just have cannon and skull to go and then she is done.  Mylar around pop bumpers removed clean!  Not much glue left over from old mylar again  #*#

Now, noob question.  I will completely remove the playfield on this one.  What is the best way to do this?  I don't really want to have to completely strip underside of PF if this can be avoided.  Unlike the D.E there is no big plug for loom on underside before it goes to backbox.  Do I need to (label) each plug from PCB's then drop through box?

I'm going to order some new pop bumper bits n pieces from RTBB and some new microswitches.  Also need to get a new drop target (with decal).  I've seen them on ebay but trying to buy local if possible.

More pics tomorrow when the PF is bare and clean.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 11:31:53 PM »

Label each connector - "J121" etc - with a sharpie or permanent marker.

Offline wonder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
Re: Terminator 2 play field resto - Part II
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 10:51:03 AM »
Well done mate,should be a bit easy the second time round.
I got mine of mark as a project as well,just a lot longer ago.Will pm you regarding the flippers wires as not sure what side of coil they go to.
If you need any scans let me no and as strangeways said mark everything as it makes it a lot easy later.Have you replaced the skull,hunter ship yet as would like to no, are the new ones better than the repo one as they fell so thin and crap,just wanted to no if they are thicker material now.

Keep photos coming and if you need anything let me no as may have it.

pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 12:08:32 PM »
OK..Marco's emailed me back.  Unfortunately their decals are exactly as I had.  I've googled around and the only other place I can find is classic-arcades.com.

Their T2 decals are advertised as having 'extra' artwork on the two decals I'm trying to make, so it might work out OK.  Has anyone dealt with them before?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 12:11:17 PM »
OK..Marco's emailed me back.  Unfortunately their decals are exactly as I had.  I've googled around and the only other place I can find is classic-arcades.com.

Their T2 decals are advertised as having 'extra' artwork on the two decals I'm trying to make, so it might work out OK.  Has anyone dealt with them before?

I've ordered from them on one occasion without any problem.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Terminator 2 play field resto - Part II
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 06:20:37 PM »
Well done mate,should be a bit easy the second time round.
I got mine of mark as a project as well,just a lot longer ago.Will pm you regarding the flippers wires as not sure what side of coil they go to.
If you need any scans let me no and as strangeways said mark everything as it makes it a lot easy later.Have you replaced the skull,hunter ship yet as would like to no, are the new ones better than the repo one as they fell so thin and crap,just wanted to no if they are thicker material now.

Keep photos coming and if you need anything let me no as may have it.

Thanks....I've replaced the hunter ship only at this stage....I may do the skull a bit later but its not too bad.  I got mine from RTBB and its the best of the ones I've looked at...Its been hit a couple of times but survived..Protectors can be purchased for these now too..

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 09:30:18 PM »
OK, playfield now completely stripped....Only one bolt was stripped, which I'm happy with.
I've emailed classic-arcades for a set of decals....There store doesn't work with AUS postcodes so hopefully they are happy to sell to us down here.

Still got a bit of glue to clean on old inserts...Now for some questions for the playfield resto gurus:

(1) - How can I clean / fix wear marks on insert plastics (ie left a mark where old decal had gone missing)?  Can this be lightly sanded, then novus etc...
(2) - For a Diamond Coat playfield...I'm trying to talk my panel beater / spray painter into doing it for me..Will the entire PF need to be sanded prior to hitting it with first coat of clear (obviously over clear).  If this is the case - I'm guessing sand the lot, clean (prepsol or similar), attach decals then give a full coat - not too thick.  Then a second coat once tacky and NOT bake, let dry for couple of weeks..?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 12:12:44 AM »

Hmm... Nice Playfield ! Try Novus 3 or Orange Solvent for the inserts..

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 11:45:14 AM »
It would definately need a light sand for the clear to 'key' into, stops delamination occuring from heat/time in the future

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 06:11:15 PM »
Tonight is Novus night.  Will get right into her for a good clean/cut.....

Jeff from Classic-Arcades got back to me, I've ordered the decal set so hopefully I will see it in 2-4 weeks.  He certainly looked after me so I'm very happy at this stage... *%*

I'm keen to get the gun handle re done too.  I'm guessing this was chromed?  The only place I know of only touches new stuff which this is not...

At least whilst I'm waiting for my decals, I can make sure every other part is cleaned / polished etc...

**Just on that..I don't plan on using my little dremmal for doing all playfield bits n pieces.  Has anyone got any recommendations for benchtop polishes.  I had a look at bunnings and the polishing wheel (attachment type) looked a bit average....Whats a reasonble grinder - and then where to go to get the right wheel?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 06:39:39 PM by MartyJ »

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 11:16:42 AM »
Alrightly, decals have been posted from Jeff's end.

Question.  I have come to the decision that mylar will go down again, however this time will be a single sheet covering entire playfield.  Will be installed with playfield removed.
Now the playfield will be as clean as possible.  Thus far I have removed all old glue, shellite, magic eraser with iso alcohol, novus 3, shellite, novus 2, shellite.  I want the playfield to be clean and shiny under the mylar, but obviously I cannot wax it etc as it wont bond correctly.  Is it OK to clean it with novus 2 again to get it a bit more shine or should I just stick with shellite?

Thanks again

Offline Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 11:28:15 AM »
Tonight is Novus night.  Will get right into her for a good clean/cut.....

Jeff from Classic-Arcades got back to me, I've ordered the decal set so hopefully I will see it in 2-4 weeks.  He certainly looked after me so I'm very happy at this stage... *%*

I'm keen to get the gun handle re done too.  I'm guessing this was chromed?  The only place I know of only touches new stuff which this is not...

At least whilst I'm waiting for my decals, I can make sure every other part is cleaned / polished etc...

**Just on that..I don't plan on using my little dremmal for doing all playfield bits n pieces.  Has anyone got any recommendations for benchtop polishes.  I had a look at bunnings and the polishing wheel (attachment type) looked a bit average....Whats a reasonble grinder - and then where to go to get the right wheel?

thats going to be my next buy as well _ Grinder/ polishing wheel_
I've seen what results Nino gets   so I'm convinced