Author Topic: Terminator 2 playfield resto - Part II  (Read 4778 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Terminator 2 playfield resto - Part II
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2009, 02:16:09 PM »

Generally speaking - I never use lube on pinballs - except stepper unit shafts on EMs.

I don't believe that there was any lube originally - from factory.

with the ball kick assy - Just clean the shaft with nifti and scotchbrite pad, and the hole with a rag draped over a small screwdriver.

There's nothing wrong with lube, I just don't use it..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2009, 02:48:57 PM »

Generally speaking - I never use lube on pinballs - except stepper unit shafts on EMs.

I don't believe that there was any lube originally - from factory.

with the ball kick assy - Just clean the shaft with nifti and scotchbrite pad, and the hole with a rag draped over a small screwdriver.

There's nothing wrong with lube, I just don't use it..

I was hesitant, but metal on metal?  In the manual it states the ball shooter lane feeder (which I think it was) needs lubrication oil and has a Williams part no.  Its only a small amount so hopefully should be OK.  It also states to do the slingshot arms as well?  I will inspect once I get to cleaning them.

Bit more progress as to furniture cleaning....Some metal parts been soaked in Nifty, then some 600grit wet and dry with windex.  No buff as yet.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »

I'm a bit "old school" so I never use lube at all other than EMs. If the manual says to drop some oil in on the moving parts - they thats up to you !

What I use for metal guides is either green scotchbrite pads with Windex, or 180 Wet/Dry then 320 Wet/Dry with Windex. Some guys polish them to a high sheen, which is interesting. But I stick to the original look.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2009, 09:50:54 PM »
A little more progress.  No more photos as the playfield is still bare and in its jig.

All metal parts have been soaked in nifty, scrubbed, cleaned and thoroughly dried.  The metal side-wall ramps have all been lightly sanded as per above method.  Slings pulled apart, cleaned & new leaf's ordered..

I've pulled the gun handle off and just waiting for confirmation of whether I can get it rechromed or not.  New skull ordered too from RTBB.

A few parts to trickle in over the next couple of days then just waiting for decals to arrive. 

I've got some new flipper nylons, but afaik everything else on the flippers were done when I bought it, so I'm not too sure if there is anything else I can do.  I figure it may be a bit of a wait on decals, so I might get some felt to put on the jig and flip the pf and just go over every solder and double check all connections too.

A few hours have gone into it, but slowly slowly and hopefully will turn out nice.  Still chasing 1 x pf plastic which I cannot source.  May have to look at making it myself  !@#

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 10:01:17 PM »
Gun handle dismantled and cleaned (needed it badly)....Lots of gunk on it...

Sent a few emails to local electroplaters to see if they can assist in re-chroming it.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2009, 05:06:20 PM »

I've got some new flipper nylons, but afaik everything else on the flippers were done when I bought it, so I'm not too sure if there is anything else I can do.  I figure it may be a bit of a wait on decals, so I might get some felt to put on the jig and flip the pf and just go over every solder and double check all connections too.

Check for slop in your flipper linkages, change out if needed and replace coil sleeves while your at it all cheap parts that vastly improve game play  *%*

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 07:11:10 PM »
Progress...Decal set arrived today...It was 98% perfect.  Unfortunately the 250,000 (with shoulder artwork) was no good.  The horizonal size was out and nothing lined up...BUT as far as the rest I am 100% happier as all the lettering has the white highlighting....The security pass decal is off a bit too...I could probably get away with it but ....(**Edit, nope its spot on...Just need to hand paint the missing bit as not included with decal).**

Soo, two things, can the shoulder piece / 250,000 be made (with the white ink) locally or should I contact Jeff and see if he can send another (just don't want have to wait for US postage)..
Secondly, what do you think I should do around the mouth...It needs to be filled in black, as the teeth are clear.  Last time I painted it black, but it looked like a kid had done it with texta?

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:53:56 PM by MartyJ »

Offline wonder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 08:12:33 PM »

Looking good Marty,your play field came up like a treat. I got a set of teeth from Marco a while back,if you wont i cant post it to you.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/storeitems.asp?game=Williams&williams=TERMINATOR%202&PageNo=14
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2009, 09:11:34 PM »

Very impressive Marty.

The game is coming together very nicely.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2009, 09:22:24 PM »

Looking good Marty,your play field came up like a treat. I got a set of teeth from Marco a while back,if you wont i cant post it to you.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/storeitems.asp?game=Williams&williams=TERMINATOR%202&PageNo=14

Thanks Wonder!....PM Sent.

Very impressive Marty.

The game is coming together very nicely.

Thanks Nino...I was really hoping to get all the decals done in one hit...That way I could let them sit for a day, then mylar and let it settle for a day or so then bat on...Oh well...

The next hurdle is just getting those two lower decals right....

My new skull arrived too from Greg...I may have to pop down to Mark's on Sat as I need to get those blind rivots put in for the eye lamps...He did my last lot on the ramp signs too...

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2009, 09:46:47 PM »
I've done a bit more work on the security pass insert.  I've started to hand paint the uprights (to his neck) which are not included on the decal.  Jeff from classic-arcades emailed me back early this morning and he is looking into the issue with the 250,000 decal and hopefully can sort it out.  There will be a small amount to hand paint on this one too, but thats AOK.  It would be great if this can be done, then all the fonts match etc..and less headaches.....If this cannot be solved, then plan B with some assistance from very kind peoples here we will give it a shot.  All mechanical bits and pieces now clean and ready to go.  Have 1 plastic to straighten.

I'm not too sure what to do with the lock down bar.  I was thinking chrome, but $$ and I don't want to pimp it out.  Just going for that clean look.  Perhaps just nifty clean, windex & sandpaper then buff?

Anyway, as soon as I've finished the touch ups on the insert will post more!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2009, 09:55:11 PM »
I've done a bit more work on the security pass insert.  I've started to hand paint the uprights (to his neck) which are not included on the decal.  Jeff from classic-arcades emailed me back early this morning and he is looking into the issue with the 250,000 decal and hopefully can sort it out.  There will be a small amount to hand paint on this one too, but thats AOK.  It would be great if this can be done, then all the fonts match etc..and less headaches.....If this cannot be solved, then plan B with some assistance from very kind peoples here we will give it a shot.  All mechanical bits and pieces now clean and ready to go.  Have 1 plastic to straighten.

I'm not too sure what to do with the lock down bar.  I was thinking chrome, but $$ and I don't want to pimp it out.  Just going for that clean look.  Perhaps just nifty clean, windex & sandpaper then buff?

Lock Down Bar  - 320 Grit Wet with Windox. Straight and full fines. Then just wipe excess off with Windex and a rag.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2009, 05:26:50 PM »

Lock Down Bar  - 320 Grit Wet with Windox. Straight and full fines. Then just wipe excess off with Windex and a rag.

Done.

Artwork started around neck (not covered by decal)....

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2009, 07:15:46 PM »
Slowly progressing, big thanks to Wonder for sending me the teeth decal.  I had to trim it a bit to fit, but looks a lot better...Thanks again!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »

Great update - Now the Terminator can eat Solids  !^!