Author Topic: Terminator 2 playfield resto - Part II  (Read 5430 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Terminator 2 playfield resto - Part II
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2009, 01:56:36 PM »
looking good. Hey Marty what did the gun re-chrome set you back or did a friend etc do it for you at mates rates?

I was looking at getting it done locally, but they're never open on the weekends either so I didn't want to pay postage etc...

Shoot MarkC a PM.  He will point you in the right direction   *%*

Looks bloody good Marty.Nothing better than having a nice clean, shinning play field.Will be a treat to play when all back together.

Thanks Wonder!  Those teeth of yours came up a treat.  Thanks again, really appreciated.

As soon as the ramps come back, she'll be ready to go.  I cannot wait to play a game.  I also splashed out a little.  There was a PinballPro speaker kit on ebay going at a reasonable price (BNIB), from a customer of Marks who had a Dr Who I think.  He sold the machine before it arrived so saved about $100+.  They should arrive this week to.  Along with RTBB #89 super bright LED's on PF, all insert's LED'd she should be fun.

All I've got left is to install new globe holders in bumpers and  *!@....thats really about it.    @@*
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:58:50 PM by MartyJ »

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2009, 05:19:49 PM »
Thanks for the tip Marty, BTW I notice the hunter ship on an angle, mines nearly straight. I haven't checked out the IPDB but yours kinda looks pretty good from the pix. I just wondered which is the original position from the factory. Just out of interest as its simple to bend the wires to suit.

Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2009, 05:50:12 PM »
Thanks for the tip Marty, BTW I notice the hunter ship on an angle, mines nearly straight. I haven't checked out the IPDB but yours kinda looks pretty good from the pix. I just wondered which is the original position from the factory. Just out of interest as its simple to bend the wires to suit.

Not too sure?  It was brand new and didn't look bent..I'll have to look into it!

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2009, 06:14:24 PM »
Looking even better all put together again (almost).

Great job.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2009, 07:17:21 PM »

Great job.

Yeah, came up a treat.  I'm actually very happy with the result.  So hopefully as long as the mylar stays intact and the decals stay put,  $#$

I fired her up after reseating some connectors its back to life.  I must say, Gregs #89 LED's are so bright.  I'm very very happy with those!

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2009, 09:14:44 PM »
Can't stop looking at the great work, but it also reminds me of many questions I've been meaning to ask. Does the metal plate on the RHS ball return guides of yours only have a hole milled out for the flasher? Whereas the LHS has the flasher and #44 globe present. Mine one is like that and have been always thinking maybe to drill a hole for the RHS #44
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
Thats one nice looking T2 Marty !  ^^^
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2009, 12:22:47 PM »
Coming along well mate  ^^^

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2009, 09:35:54 PM »
Can't stop looking at the great work, but it also reminds me of many questions I've been meaning to ask. Does the metal plate on the RHS ball return guides of yours only have a hole milled out for the flasher? Whereas the LHS has the flasher and #44 globe present. Mine one is like that and have been always thinking maybe to drill a hole for the RHS #44

I had never even noticed this until you pointed it out :lol  No.  THe #89's (larger ones) are both done, but the #44/#47 on the R/H/S is not.  It would be an easy job to do, but I'm not sure yet.  I ran out of #89 flashers, so the two under the ball returns are still stock.  Soo, another order into RTBB to finalise that.  The T2 is a worthy game for LED's.

Coming along well mate  ^^^

Thats one nice looking T2 Marty !  ^^^

Great job.

Thanks guys.  Still not quite up to the standards of the rest of the crew here, but my next project (hopefully a HS2 or Flintstones) I will aim to one better.  From comparing the old old before shots she's come up all right.  I can understand why the commercial guys cannot always do this as the amount of hours that need to go into it would basically right the machine off.  But thats why I like buying projects!

I've been having intermittent problems over the last day.  Still loosing the r/h/s GI lighting and intermittant problems with some coils / motors (ie ball return & gun motor).  I pulled out the PCB and tested all the pins / tracks, TIP's and so forth as per Marvins guide.  One of the header pin banks has been repaired but everything buzzed out ok.  The yellow wires from transformer to molex was also listed as sometimes causing GI problems.  I've reseated this a few times and problem as gone away again.  I will keep an eye on it.

My cheap pinballpro speaker kit arrived today as well.  Not a bad kit at all, went in very easy and definately made a big improvement with sound.  I can see on a GNR pin would be very worthwhile!

Once the ramps go back in, I'll be pumped for a game.

At this stage the mylar is covering 100% of the playfield.  I have not cut around posts at all.  From reading RGP etc the main theme was NOT to overtighten or do up with power tools.  All posts are just nipped - finger tight.  I think the main ones of concern are the plastic posts on the slings.  These can be cut around if necessary, but again are not super tight.  I'm certainly open to ideas/thoughts on this.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2009, 09:50:53 AM »

Don't sell yourself short here Marty, your work on this machine has been excellent.

T2 and Flintstones have great appeal to me, and I'd love to see your T2 when done. Flintstones is a great title, and Wotto's was just a 10/10 machine. Good choice !

GI problems are almost always connectors, or dry joints on the GI connectors on the boards.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2009, 10:06:36 AM »

Don't sell yourself short here Marty, your work on this machine has been excellent.

T2 and Flintstones have great appeal to me, and I'd love to see your T2 when done. Flintstones is a great title, and Wotto's was just a 10/10 machine. Good choice !

GI problems are almost always connectors, or dry joints on the GI connectors on the boards.

I agree re Wotto's machine.  From his website those photos of the machine look unreal.  I'm still yet to play a Flintstones.  Next time Mark gets one I will have a game or two.

The G.I connectors on the PCB and header pins look like they had been replaced.  Given only those had been disconnected I thought it was a connection problem at that end, rather than the transformer which had not been touched.  I will continue to monitor. 

What do you think I should do re mylar around the posts - in particular the slings?  Should I cut it away or leave?

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2009, 10:18:27 AM »

the pinball pro kit  came from a bloke who brought a few pins from me
he sold the pin he was going to put that in .
the kits do make a big difference

the playfield looks great   well done and a great job there

and yes Flintstones  is a very underrated game  , well a game or two on

wottos one was very nice 

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
Re: Terminator 2 play field resto - Part II
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2009, 11:18:09 AM »
Thanks guys.  Still not quite up to the standards of the rest of the crew here, but my next project (hopefully a HS2 or Flintstones) I will aim to one better.  From comparing the old old before shots she's come up all right.

Don't under estimate your self Marty.

Machine came up and looks very,very nice.You just raised the bar level for me, when i finally get around to finishing mine.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »

I agree re Wotto's machine.  From his website those photos of the machine look unreal.  I'm still yet to play a Flintstones.  Next time Mark gets one I will have a game or two.

The G.I connectors on the PCB and header pins look like they had been replaced.  Given only those had been disconnected I thought it was a connection problem at that end, rather than the transformer which had not been touched.  I will continue to monitor. 

What do you think I should do re mylar around the posts - in particular the slings?  Should I cut it away or leave?

As soon as you tighten the posts, the mylar may start to move twist over time. This was apparent in the old days of laying on contact (pre mylar). Today's mylar is thicker and stronger. you may get away with leaving it  "as is". I'd place additional mylar on any ball drop areas and MAYBE in front of the slings. It's route days are over, so it will not be heavily played anymore !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2009, 12:20:19 PM »
OK thanks Nino.  I've put some of RTBB's bumper rings on.  They are a thicker material.  Mainly because the bumpers on the T2 get a lot of work!

I can understand the mylar twisting / tearing with over tightening posts.  Each one was checked when done up and only 'nipped
' a bit beyond finger tight.

The only other spot I may look at is the ball drops from the two ramps.  I don't think I've seen a T2 without wear on those to spots.