Author Topic: Old V New..?  (Read 30714 times)

Offline SwingLid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Old V New..?
« on: November 09, 2012, 10:31:24 AM »

Hello all.

Reading a lot about the games from the past and "how good they are" surely there are some new games that would be better.. better playfield etc etc..

Would like to know...Id rater spend 8k on a new great game than 9k on a classic just because they are sort after..

Thankyou

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Re: Old V New..?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 10:39:46 AM »
buy what you like playing, and in the condition you like it to be

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 11:01:25 AM »
Like Greg said, get out to a dealer or locations play heaps of different games then decide what you like playing rather than relying on other peoples opinions

Offline SwingLid

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 10:07:09 PM »
Cheers

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 10:21:28 PM »

Hello all.

Reading a lot about the games from the past and "how good they are" surely there are some new games that would be better.. better playfield etc etc..

Would like to know...Id rater spend 8k on a new great game than 9k on a classic just because they are sort after..

Thankyou

Indeed many of the newer games leave the older game dead in the water imo but I still love the B/W period form the 90/s, some great games from there that will always be great and some of the best pins ever made.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »

If you are looking for a pinball, and it is your first (or one of your first), then don't throw a heap of cash at it. $8k- $9k is way too much. I'd rather buy 2 DMDs for $3000 and an SS or EM for under $2000. That way, you have variety, and if you have the room, you can lean towards the era that attracts you the most.

I would never recommend a first pin be over $3000 - $4000.

"Sought after" older games - Not worth it unless you are serious collector of that era. I speak of KISS, Playboy, Fathom.. There's only one or two "classics" that are even near $8000.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 10:39:58 AM »
pinball improved in leaps and bounds from the mid 70's to late 90's, but it has pretty much stagnated since. The new games of today are not really better at all, some do prefer them, but they would be minority I suspect.

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 11:53:33 AM »
pinball improved in leaps and bounds from the mid 70's to late 90's, but it has pretty much stagnated since. The new games of today are not really better at all, some do prefer them, but they would be minority I suspect.

+1

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 04:46:44 PM »
Its just nice to open a brand new in box machine and know u wont have to fix anything or have any hassles for a decent while...its like a new car, its just nice to be the first owner...something special in that,,,and the moden titles are time period relevant (meaning right now n this years trendy movie etc) whereas, older machines are sometimes titles that have aged to early to mid nineties...

I still look at games like Twilight Zone, Indy Jones Widebody and think they did a hellof a job with the techology they were working with in the earlier times..alot of innovation and special care went into that era...still makes me proud when i look at most dmd machines from that time....just a whole lotta fun stuck on 4 x silver or black legs really !
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 04:50:23 PM »
Its just nice to open a brand new in box machine and know u wont have to fix anything or have any hassles for a decent while...its like a new car,

that would certainly be a good point, but on the other side of the coin it is enjoyable giving a machine a cleanup, but thats not every ones idea of fun either so having game new is certainly an upside

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »
yep, pulled apart dozens of machines, and its tedious after a while...not playing with a new one, (except adding Swinksys mirror blades and the occassional LED) is enough for me of late..lol

if the BNIB prices in Aust were a bit cheaper, there might be more of us who buy BNIB...even AMD having a finance deal like Joe from KJWHFUN has organised, would sell alot more new Sterns as well.....
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 06:08:20 PM »
unfortunately the quality control can be shite, and the NIB pin can very well have issues straight off the box. Recent releases have provided a ton of issues for new buyers.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 06:15:51 PM »
unfortunately the quality control can be shite, and the NIB pin can very well have issues straight off the box. Recent releases have provided a ton of issues for new buyers.

I have had no issues with mine, very happy with my nib experiences and will do it again for sure.
I have had lots more problems with older 2nd hand games that need everything from board work to new ramps and switches...etc etc.
Some dealers sell absolute shite 2nd hand pins that need plenty of work, there are two 2nd hand pin dealers here in Brisbane that come to mind instantly.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 06:20:19 PM by Cow Corner »
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 09:02:26 PM »
I still look at games like Twilight Zone, Indy Jones Widebody and think they did a hellof a job with the techology they were working with in the earlier times..alot of innovation and special care went into that era...still makes me proud when i look at most dmd machines from that time....just a whole lotta fun stuck on 4 x silver or black legs really !

Its still the same technology Cavey. The technology at the time was very common place... we werent in the dark ages. Problem is that the games you mention are still the same as the games churned out now. DMD was new at the time and was an innovation... its no longer an innovation, it is in fact a poor way to display graphics in todays market.
As for the game itself.. coils, micro switches etc, this has hardly changed in 100 years.. the micro replaced the leaf switch, optos negated the need for a protruding switch etc.
Hardly anything has changed since IJ and TZ

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 09:10:26 PM »
Its still the same technology Cavey. The technology at the time was very common place... we werent in the dark ages. Problem is that the games you mention are still the same as the games churned out now. DMD was new at the time and was an innovation... its no longer an innovation, it is in fact a poor way to display graphics in todays market.
As for the game itself.. coils, micro switches etc, this has hardly changed in 100 years.. the micro replaced the leaf switch, optos negated the need for a protruding switch etc.
Hardly anything has changed since IJ and TZ

Plus you can then consider the ColorDMD (LCD) for titles such as MM, AFM and TAF and those 15-20 year old games have in effect "leapfrogged" the current Sterns.  #@#