Author Topic: New member - Beaky  (Read 5082 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
New member - Beaky
« on: March 12, 2009, 10:57:54 PM »
Hi Guys.
New to this site.
I just bought a Swords Of fury for $2000
and a complete set of insert decals to suit SOF for $50 including postage.
I also own a williams FIRE! which I am about to restore.
I payed $1000 for the fire including delivery.
The only problem with the fire was it had no sound and it wouldn't start when you pressed the start button which took about 5 minutes to fix, to plugs on the P.C. boards where in the wrong place, I swaped them around and hey presto it started and it has sound now but has a humming sound when all lights are on,the more lights that are on on the playfield the louder the hum.
I have had the fire! for just over a year now.

I used to play Swords Of Fury when i was 18 (1988)
I used to work at 10-4  and Flashback In swanston st. Melbourne as a cashier / pinball Tech.
It was my dream job back then. One of my tasks back then was once a month I had to clean and test every pinball playfield and video game monitor.
I was instructed by my boss to test (PLAY) every machine properly for at least 10 minutes each to ensure they had no hidden faults.
Gee that was hard work (NOT).
Ahh the good ol' days when you would be so excited when they brought in a brand new williams machine.

My favorite Pinnies are Black Knight 2000, Swords of fury, Pinbot, Highspeed, Black Knight, Pharaoh, Fire Power 2, Space Invaders (pinball) and Paragon.
Any way hope to talk to you guys soon.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:37:50 AM by Beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: New member - Beaky
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 11:04:10 PM »
 $.$

Welcome Beaky! Great introduction, so I moved it for you over to the introduce yourself area so other members won't miss it in the other thread.

Enjoy the forum. 
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 11:06:46 PM »

welcome mate  %)%

the SOF will be sent in the morning ,  dont let MM  see it was you that got it

good to see you joined up ,  really they are a nice lot here .......   (just watch out for that Mod  Pinnes4 me)  ......

thanks

mark

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 11:07:21 PM »
 %)% to the forum. well purchased too (Swords of Fury). Lots of interesting stuff on this site so enjoy!

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 11:48:17 PM »
Nice purchase there. Welcome to the forum, lots of fun and help available around here.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 12:12:07 AM »

$.$ Beaky and  %)% to the Forums !

Nice intro post - One question - "Flashbacks" or "10 / 4" - was that the arcade in Swanston st that you had to walk down a set of stairs and turn left ?

If you turned right, you would be in a MacDonalds store ?

Nice pick-up with the SoF - I had a few games on that before it left !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 12:30:49 AM »

Nice intro post - One question - "Flashbacks" or "10 / 4" - was that the arcade in Swanston st that you had to walk down a set of stairs and turn left ?

I worked at both, flash back (next to Mc Donalds down the stairs and turn right for F-B) and 10-4 (up stairs on two levels further down the road) they were both on swanston st and were both owned by the same company.
(fyi) When the video game After Burner was brought to these 2 amusement centers they used a safe moving company ( the ones that install money safes not the ones that just had safe a work inviroment) to bring these machines up and down the stairs.
10- 4was a mission when new pinball machines came in as most of the pinball machines were on the second floor and we didn't have a lift there.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 01:00:52 AM by Beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 01:25:28 AM »

Geez  nealy nearly every member here has played teh SOF   hope is clean   *)* *)*

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 01:40:11 AM »

Geez  nealy nearly every member here has played teh SOF   hope is clean   *)* *)*
I hope it was cleaned before it was sent ^&^
was it?

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 06:31:42 AM »
Welcome Mate.  And nice score with the SOF and i wouldnt worry if you got it from Mark you will be happy with it for sure

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 08:28:08 AM »
 $.$    %)%

The SOF is a very nice clean machine.  The other Marty (MM) was super upset he missed out!

I've never played a Fire machine....I do like the look of them....Looking forward to seeing the resto thread!

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 08:59:55 AM »
Hi & welcome Beaky!

Matthew

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 10:46:14 AM »

I worked at both, flash back (next to Mc Donalds down the stairs and turn right for F-B) and 10-4 (up stairs on two levels further down the road) they were both on swanston st and were both owned by the same company.
(fyi) When the video game After Burner was brought to these 2 amusement centers they used a safe moving company ( the ones that install money safes not the ones that just had safe a work inviroment) to bring these machines up and down the stairs.
10- 4was a mission when new pinball machines came in as most of the pinball machines were on the second floor and we didn't have a lift there.

I used to catch a train into the city to play the pins at Flashbacks. There used to be a Haunted House and a Spirit next to each other in 1983. I was totally fascinated by the both of them - But the were never BOTH operational at the same time. I had no interest in the other games, just these two. A couple of times I went there JUST to play Spirit. For YEARS, I wanted BOTH machines in my gamesroom and be fully operational. The only person I knew with both games was Marco (Pinfan), and when I saw them again (at Marco's), it brought back a flood of memories. Lucky for me, Childs Amusements had BOTH machines imported (projects) and I have BOTH of them awaiting restoration.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 10:59:34 AM »

I hope it was cleaned before it was sent ^&^
was it?

Forgot to mention - nug and I put a bunch of games on that SoF too a few months back.

I cleaned up after nug!   &&
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 02:11:54 PM »

I used to catch a train into the city to play the pins at Flashbacks. There used to be a Haunted House and a Spirit next to each other in 1983. I was totally fascinated by the both of them - But the were never BOTH operational at the same time. I had no interest in the other games, just these two. A couple of times I went there JUST to play Spirit. For YEARS, I wanted BOTH machines in my gamesroom and be fully operational. The only person I knew with both games was Marco (Pinfan), and when I saw them again (at Marco's), it brought back a flood of memories. Lucky for me, Childs Amusements had BOTH machines imported (projects) and I have BOTH of them awaiting restoration.

There are a few plastics broken on the fire, including the two side plastics that are over the lock area, these have buildings moulded on them so i will be attempting to to some vacum moulding to make new ones.
the paint work on the cabinet is shocking it has a lot of cracks through it so it will have to be repainted.
When it is finished i will be selling it and intend buying a BN2K
I have been waiting to buy another machine before i started stripping the fire machine (which is on its way here). So we have a pin to play while this is being done.
I also need to do some work on the circuit boards (just a transistor + battery holder and capacitors)
will keep you all informed.