Author Topic: AC/DC Cannon Mod  (Read 60910 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: AC/DC Cannon Mod
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 01:22:47 PM »
I cant get the Panawill site to work. When i click add to cart it still shows Empty cart !*!

the guys said on pinside that you still have to pay a $1.60 postage and then it works - still a good deal.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 01:48:42 PM »
I cant get the Panawill site to work. When i click add to cart it still shows Empty cart !*!

the guys said on pinside that you still have to pay a $1.60 postage and then it works - still a good deal.

True but there also saying the supplier has sold out due to high demand lol
My payment went through but I haven't received an email yet, I'm not holding my breath.

Peter

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 07:35:54 PM »
The seller i paid apx $30 to for a couple of them is only asking about $800 each now..... &^&

Various people have emailed me saying they have reported him to ebay, but i am not sure if it will do any good ??.
Its his right to charge what he wants, but ebay may have a rule which says u cant increase the price by 10 million percent in a certain time frame ?
I have a feeling, someone put in a order for 100 of them which is why he has no stock left and has jacked the price to insanity.

Luckily, I recieved a email apx 2 days before the pricing went thru the roof saying mine had already shipped and i got the postage track number from their verssion of the govt post office already. If i recieve my 2, and anyone gets stuck and cant get one, I am happy to onsend the spare one.  ^^^
If mine arives, I will update the thread.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ausrhino

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Dalby
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 07:41:36 PM »
Hahaha - it seems I got the last order through before the price jack.  Poor guy who bought it at the insane price.  He probably just clicked through and followed the bouncing ball before he realised.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 08:24:54 PM »
The seller i paid apx $30 to for a couple of them is only asking about $800 each now..... &^&

Various people have emailed me saying they have reported him to ebay, but i am not sure if it will do any good ??.
Its his right to charge what he wants, but ebay may have a rule which says u cant increase the price by 10 million percent in a certain time frame ?
I have a feeling, someone put in a order for 100 of them which is why he has no stock left and has jacked the price to insanity.

Luckily, I recieved a email apx 2 days before the pricing went thru the roof saying mine had already shipped and i got the postage track number from their verssion of the govt post office already. If i recieve my 2, and anyone gets stuck and cant get one, I am happy to onsend the spare one.  ^^^
If mine arives, I will update the thread.

HaHaHa!!!  Once again... the Chinese showing us just how to make capitalism work to its best.. too funny.. Sterns lack of finish is this mans ticket to the high life.. cracks me up!!

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 09:18:14 PM »
here is a response that I got from Sue the UK ebayer:

Hi, thank you for your email, it all went a little crazy on Friday as everyone of our customers was from Australia and we sold out within 2 hours. Hence the silly price, we are awaiting new stock. Kind Regards sue
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 07:13:46 PM »
Well I have finally made a prototype and as far as looks are concerned, it looks like it has seen some battles with mutilated limbs and war scars. My intentions were to reproduce the mechanism cover without the top hump and then attach the cannon to the top of the cover. I was not keen on doing the UK version of spray painting the mechanism and leaving bare solenoids in view.

For the cover, I used original Stern cover measurements, minus the top hump, and used light cardboard. I then pasted a gold colour envelope cut out onto the cardboard and then on the left and top pasted an apron card cutout as shown on photo. This was then laminated with 250 micron laminate. This stuff is pretty thick so I ran it through the laminator 4 times untill the apron card colours look vivid.
The laminate was then folded and the screw holes cut out to match the mechanism. As you can see in photos, I used original 4 screws to secure the cover.
The canon underside between the wheels had to be trimmed as this is secured to the modified cover. I also had to reseat the left wheel slightly lower as it was getting stuck to the glass. The rear end of the cannon is totally mutilated on this prototype as I was playing around with best seating position. I will do another one later with all in one piece.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »
More photos from different sides.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2013, 02:43:20 AM »
excellent.  looks good. 
a flashing red LED/light on the cannon when it activates would look awesome, like the cannon is firing.  I will have a play and see what wiring possibilities it has. Should be straight forward.

the UK seller has sold some cannons at the $500 + figure, 3 different people ordered at the very very high price.  wow !   *!@

r***r( 528)   Design: 1:20 Cannon Ball   GBP 514.99  x2   11-Feb-13 02:57:44 AEDST

f***f( 659)  Design: 1:20 Cannon Ball  GBP 514.99  x1    11-Feb-13 02:16:51 AEDST

r***m( 308)  Design: 1:20 Cannon Ball  GBP 514.99  x1  09-Feb-13 00:03:33 AEDST

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2013, 12:00:21 PM »
Your version of the mod turned out great  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »
Guys, the mod will come up good on a video. I will take some when I get some time.
In regards to the lighting, an interesting observation is that the existing lighting really highlights the cannon well, much better than the original cover. The red flasher to the right of the cannon lights up and reflects off the whole side as the cannon sits right next to it. The flasher goes on or pulses when the cannon is ready for action.
I think the apron and playfield led strobes could probably do more to enhance the cannon shots but this is something that LS could program in a software upgrade.
I found the cannon barrel is helpful in aiming for the targets and my shots are now 95% hits. The other day I hit a 98 million bonus cannon shot, definitely not one to miss.
The other thing you notice with the mod is when the ball loads, the cannon gives a slight shudder due to the ball weight. Never noticed with the original because it did not have the long barrel. Kind of looks good every time the ball loads, I actually like the cannon shot more now.
Like I said earlier, this mod is more of a prototype to test for robustness, fit and playability. So far it has worked well after about 50 games. As is, it is much better than the standard cannon.

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2013, 07:02:34 PM »
Ha ..BB gun ,customs are going to love these once they get wind of it....buyer beware
but a great mod none the less
Hah, I took note of this as I was eyeing a beautiful James 1841 cannon for my BIB LE topper. I thought this being a metal replica, I better check with customs so as not to get in trouble with the law. Anyway, here is their response:

Dear Freiherr,

Thank you for contacting Australian Customs and Border Protection Service

If the Cannon is not able to fire any projectiles it is not controlled.

However, if it can fire projectiles it is controlled and permission to import is required.

If it does require permission, what permit is need will rely on what the cannon actually fires.

Yours Sincerely,

Somsay M
Customs and Border Protection Officer | Customs Information and Support Centre | Cargo Service Branch | Cargo & Trade Division
Australian Customs and Border Protection Service
Customs House, 10 Cooks River Drive, Mascot NSW 2020
P: 1300 363 263 | F: 02 8339 6713 |

So, as it turns out, the metal cannon kit that I want to import for my topper is clear with no restrictions as it does not fire projectiles.
HOWEVER, the plastic model Chinese cannon which is sold out on ebay does fire little plastic projectiles. Technically it would require custom clearance.  !)# !)# **&

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2013, 11:20:44 PM »
My gold Cannon arrived from the UK seller apx 4 days ago but just remembered to update.
I was supposed to get 2 x of them, but only 1 x cannon came with a note that the other 1 x is on back order.

It looks good, and I reckon it will work out really well after a few mods like others have done.
**I think I might do something extra to mine, and I have a red laser pointer in mind (seen something similar used on the Next Generation Pinball cannons on that star trek pinny).

Will update when i get around to fitting and playing with a few extra cannon mod ideas.

Go AC/DC Pro.  ^^^

Offline shootar

• Forum Posts:
  • brisbane
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2013, 12:09:32 PM »
My gold Cannon arrived from the UK seller apx 4 days ago but just remembered to update.
I was supposed to get 2 x of them, but only 1 x cannon came with a note that the other 1 x is on back order.

It looks good, and I reckon it will work out really well after a few mods like others have done.
**I think I might do something extra to mine, and I have a red laser pointer in mind (seen something similar used on the Next Generation Pinball cannons on that star trek pinny).

Will update when i get around to fitting and playing with a few extra cannon mod ideas.

Go AC/DC Pro.  ^^^

civil war canons with lasers? Sounds like a michael crichton novel in the making <.>
The mallard anas platyrhynchos is not all he's quacked up to be.

Offline RatBag

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2013, 01:10:45 AM »
Finally got a few of these in after waiting awhile,I would of been pissed if customs had stopped them because as a BB gun they dont even work.
After checking out what other people are doing to fit these and what has been offered on Pinside I decided to see if i could get the whole cannon to fit rather than cut half of the body and leg away as I wasn't to keen on fitting it like that and didnt like the look of it.
The one in the pics is my first attempt and seems to fit ok,plenty of dremel work on the cannon and a few washer here and there under the ramp to lift it up a tad,but it fits.
What I found to be the way to tackle these is to split the cannon in half,2 screws and cut the end of the barrel off(glue that on later)then remove the whole cannon assembly from the machine and work on it at the bench,I started with the side you see and picked up the same mounting hole that everyone else is using as this seems the best spot for clearance on the leg underneath the ramp .
I plan to paint the original steel satin black but still tossing up to use and finish off painting this one or start again knowing what bits to cut off the next one

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:13:08 AM by RatBag »