Author Topic: Aussie Dollar Discussion  (Read 8563 times)

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
Aussie Dollar Discussion
« on: May 11, 2013, 10:01:42 PM »
With the pricing on Stern pins, how long can AMD keep the current price firm?

Last May in the ACDC thread, I predicted that the Aussie $ will drop to 70c US this year.The way things are heading, my crystal ball gazing may prove me correct. The question on how many Metallicas will sell in Oz will be determined by what price will they sell for?

I am sure they will not stay at the current price if the dollar keeps heading south. The price sweet spot for NIBs may be disappearing fast unless Sterns are made in China or locally assembled.

Are Stern Pro models now priced at a point that if they go any higher, people will stop buying them? I think $5950 was a great price for AC/DC. Maybe the Australian prices are at a point where they will stay despite a drop in the Aussie dollar? Would be interested to hear people's thoughts.

I don't see how the Australian dollar could drop to 70c within the next 7 months, but I'm not an economist. Any reason?

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: Aussie Dollar Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 11:37:29 PM »
cant see the dollar dive like that, chances are like gws football club winning afl grand final this year. if you can predict that big a dip why work, play the money market less taxing on the body
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 12:42:28 AM »
No one can be right or wrong about our dollar because its all rigged by people with billions of dollars.

Aussie BNIB prices were only supposed to go up $100 but they went up a bit more, probably to cover the dollar this next 12 months, smart move by AMD cause the dollar was at $1.16, now its at $1.01. Pray it doesn't hit 70 cents or we will all be completely farked in many many more ways than one.

I cant see AMD putting prices up for another 12 months after the recent 5 percent increase cause of the slowing aussie dollar. Pray I am right pinball lovers.

Any new news from the AMD Metallica launch on any sites anywhere ??  !@# I should have gone, I was really keen, but the wife made me take rubbish to the tip, that was dam exciting, NOT !  @.@
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 12:44:18 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 11:21:33 AM »

I don't see how the Australian dollar could drop to 70c within the next 7 months, but I'm not an economist. Any reason?

1. The Aussie dollar was down there before, infact down to 67c.
2. The wind has come out of China's economic sails.
3. The US economy is picking up.
4. The mining boom is near its end.
5. The Australian Government is in the red.
6. The RBA has hinted at more cuts, probably 3 more @ .25% this year.
7. AUS manufacturers and exporters, farmers, beef farmers and car makers are struggling.
8. Low company profits and smaller payee tax revenue has lowered government income.
9. Economists have been saying for several years that the AUS dollar is over valued.
10. Price of gold and other mining resources has been dropping. AUS dollar is closely tied to their price movement.

If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 11:34:35 AM »

7. AUS manufacturers and exporters, farmers, beef farmers and car makers are struggling.
8. Low company profits and smaller payee tax revenue has lowered government income.
9. Economists have been saying for several years that the AUS dollar is over valued.
10. Price of gold and other mining resources has been dropping. AUS dollar is closely tied to their price movement.

Absolutely..... AU$ has been on an inflated high for the last couple of years and im afraid this isnt how the balance in the world economy works... everything is bought and sold in US$ which means it is VERY hard for us to sell overseas as we are now too expensive.. we should be down to around 75 - 80c against US$... high AU$ means cheaper imports which kills off domestic manufacture.. all in all, a high dollar sees us go backwards in the long run. There is now a push to bring our dollar down and down it will come.. lower interest rates to boost manufacture and retail sales again implemented.
Problem here is that Australians have now embraced OS online shopping which kills domestic retail... wouldnt be suprised if this is taxed in the near future.

So yes... NIB prices will only rise in the future, but in saying that, we should all be a bit better off anyway due to increased domestic sales.. oh hang on, we have a deficit to pay off.. so scrap that last statement.

NIB prices WILL increase

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 11:59:50 AM »

Absolutely..... AU$ has been on an inflated high for the last couple of years and im afraid this isnt how the balance in the world economy works... everything is bought and sold in US$ which means it is VERY hard for us to sell overseas as we are now too expensive.. we should be down to around 75 - 80c against US$... high AU$ means cheaper imports which kills off domestic manufacture.. all in all, a high dollar sees us go backwards in the long run. There is now a push to bring our dollar down and down it will come.. lower interest rates to boost manufacture and retail sales again implemented.
Problem here is that Australians have now embraced OS online shopping which kills domestic retail... wouldnt be suprised if this is taxed in the near future.

So yes... NIB prices will only rise in the future, but in saying that, we should all be a bit better off anyway due to increased domestic sales.. oh hang on, we have a deficit to pay off.. so scrap that last statement.

NIB prices WILL increase

+1

The AUD appreciated against the USD from less than $0.50 in 2001 to over US $1.10 in 2011.

Since the GFC our strong economic performance (mostly from mining boom exports) has also kept interest rates close to “normal” levels while most advanced economies are close to zero.

The cut the other day to interest rates (and the expected further ones this year) are mainly aimed at devaluing the dollar.

Can't see NIB prices coming down too soon.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 12:50:20 PM »
The only thing about saying that the aussie dollar will return back to very low levels of 70 cents etc, that I just cant see IMO, is the fact that the American dollar has never been so low for so very long, and its not getting any better in any significant way, so I don't see the aussie dollar getting much worse at all.
It was a different world before with the American dollar being massively high compared to our aussie dollar, so I don't see the same old rules applying anymore.
The world is just soo different now economically, I cant see old trends applying when the USA is still in a very deep hole which will take 5 years to 10 years to climb out of. China is still doing exceptionally well, but has slowed about 30 percent, no where enough to bring our dollar down more than it is now IMO.
I am now a betting man, but I would bet on this.

I bet when the liberal party gets back into party, our aussie dollar will go back to 1.07 . 1.08 ish.
Why, because the USA will renew some sort of uranium export deal, or something military behind closed doors, and the people in charge will manipulate the aussie dollar back up somehow. Whenever the Liberal Party has got in before, the aussie dollar always seems to climb.

and AMD has already put prices up by 5 percent, so I don't think they will go back up for at least another 12 months.
If the USA gets slightly better, Stern wont have a reason to have to put prices up again either, espescially since they also just put their prices up as well.
Time will tell.

Still no news from the Metallica launch...

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 06:25:47 PM »
Sorry, I have not been watching this thread
But why is a pinball about economics so popular?

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 06:30:09 PM »

+1
What is happening re gameplay and code, that is all I care about now regarding this pin.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 07:16:36 PM »

we all got bored waiting for some news about Metallica so we discussed world economics, linked to pinball prices increasing or not ?  %.%

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 07:49:47 PM »
Less $$ speculation and more pinball/gameplay info.

^^^
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 07:51:25 PM by Cow Corner »
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 08:11:27 PM »
Less $$ speculation and more pinball/gameplay info.

^^^

totally agree, start a new thread otherwise people won't visit this one.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 09:25:27 PM »
OH YEAH! Time to start saving for Metallica....Xmas for me perhaps? Too many good pinball machines coming out!

Three of the biggest factors in choosing a NIB are gameplay, looks and pricing.

Economics are not trivial and waiting to save up for Christmas could mean paying $500 - $1000 more than buying right now. I am saying that the NIB price sweet spot may be here right now and any moves up in price would make some think twice about a purchase.

This post is titled Metalica - Stern - Release 2013. At the start of the thread everyone was speculating on sound, play and looks of Metallica. What is wrong with speculating on economics?
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 09:45:41 PM »
OH YEAH! Time to start saving for Metallica....Xmas for me perhaps? Too many good pinball machines coming out!

Economics are not trivial and waiting to save up for Christmas could mean paying $500 - $1000 more than buying right now. I am saying that the NIB price sweet spot may be here right now and any moves up in price would make some think twice about a purchase.

This post is titled Metalica - Stern - Release 2013. At the start of the thread everyone was speculating on sound, play and looks of Metallica. What is wrong with speculating on economics?

This machine is ticking all the boxes for me. Metallica was one of the first bands I got into when I was a kid. I was worried that it would be a black cabinet with Rolling Stones-esque stage action shots of the band and was iffy before it come out. The whole art package wasn't what I expected at all. I knew I'd like the music and the playfield/gameplay looks like a definite winner even before I've played it. I love my AC/DC still and play it pretty much every day. This will complement AC/DC I reckon. Something to work towards anyway.

I'm an eternal optimist and don't see the cost of the Pro moving from what it is now. We all thought the price of AC/DC couldn't last at $5950...and 12 months onwards, it's still $5950. The only time I'd be worried about a price rise is when Stern changes hardware or adds extra features like an LCD. As I said, I'm an eternal optimist...

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 10:32:37 PM »

discuss n talk about what u want.
its linked to metallica pricing so its relevant for those who enjoy reading it.

I would love to add videos n photos of the metallica AMD launch but sadly I didn't go this time thinking someone else would do it,
otherwise i certainly would be adding lots of great stuff like i did for the acdc launch. oh well, next time.

hoping some stuff filters thru over the coming week otherwise I will just fly down, visit AMD, take some photos n video and check out the metallica game.
sometimes I come in handy for something.lol