Author Topic: Stern - Big Juicy Melons - going into production  (Read 57356 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Stern - Big Juicy Melons - going into production
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
I suspect that the money people backing stern now are focused,  as money people will be, on maximizing return, and pressing the envelope to see where the burst spot is. What better way than a non-direct stern product? Clever money people.  Or maybe not given the reaction.

That's obvious isn't it? Backers with the cash want a return on there investment and as much and as fast as possible :) but having said that without them Stern may have folded and who knows where pinball would be now. Must be cheaper for the smaller company's to utalise sterns production line like the MMr people-maybe Jack should have to lol

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Stern - Big Juicy Melons - going into production
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2015, 04:37:58 PM »
Ironic that when any boutique manufacturer gets involved with a larger company, the price automatically hikes. Is it a case of Stern monopolizing the industry by making the boutique manufacturers pay a huge fee (designed to put them out of business) ?

+1

And perhaps also to try and reinforce the perception to the market that their core Pro model is seen as the better value product?

Stern have already indirectly shown with The Pin what sort of BOM is involved with these machines using core components and their standard assemblies manufactured en masse and still turn a profit.

Add a coin door, a proper display and extend the dimensions of the cab/backbox slightly on The Pin and you essentially have a standard Pro pinball machine - for $3000US less.

As swinks pointed out, even the OS is the same as the regular line.

Genuine Stern Pinball flippers, slingshots, tilt-mechanism and pop bumpers.
All LED lighting to provide optimal color and lighting performance—LED lights use less power and last far longer than incandescent light bulbs.
Hi-definition, full-color cabinet artwork and decals.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 05:07:39 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2015, 07:04:03 PM »
I suspect that the money people backing stern now are focused,  as money people will be, on maximizing return, and pressing the envelope to see where the burst spot is. What better way than a non-direct stern product? Clever money people.  Or maybe not given the reaction.

That's obvious isn't it? Backers with the cash want a return on there investment and as much and as fast as possible :) but having said that without them Stern may have folded and who knows where pinball would be now. Must be cheaper for the smaller company's to utalise sterns production line like the MMr people-maybe Jack should have to lol

That's an interesting question. When the investors came in and made some hard decisions, Stern turned the corner. Can't re-write history - that's what saved Stern. Stern did not save pinball. If Stern folded, then all the rest of the games manufactured prior would still exist. The restoration side of the industry would still exist. Collections would still exist. The boutique manufacturers would be popping up all over the place, and at the same time falling over.

Pinball is not just NIB. If EVERYONE closed there doors, pinball would still be alive. Anyone making games means nothing to woodrail collectors, EM collectors, SS collectors and most DMD collectors. The parts industry would be flourishing as cashed up Stern collectors would revert back to older games, or move out of the hobby.

This is another example of dumb decisions by people at the top. This happens in all industries. In is part of running a business.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2015, 07:08:45 PM »
I like your post Pete(Gorgar).

But I am seeing sooo many negative assumptions about Sterns business model and what they should or shouldn't do.
It's almost as though profit is a dirty word.
Stern are allowed to make a profit but not too much of a profit according to some.

Sending Stern the occassional email gets you polite and factual answers back.
A factory visit in 2015 and 2016 would be a great idea for those open to that type of trip and education.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2015, 07:28:48 PM »
I like your post Pete(Gorgar).

But I am seeing sooo many negative assumptions about Sterns business model and what they should or shouldn't do.
It's almost as though profit is a dirty word.
Stern are allowed to make a profit but not too much of a profit according to some.

Sending Stern the occassional email gets you polite and factual answers back.
A factory visit in 2015 and 2016 would be a great idea for those open to that type of trip and education.

You are missing the main point being made... of course they can make a profit, its what business is about. But there is a point where too much profit kills your market as sales will slump.
The machine price announced is just too damn expensive, people don't like it and will refuse to buy.
Stern can do what they like... but if they want to continue their success then there is a plateau above which the customer base falls away.
Stern aren't kings of the market... the customers are.. without them there is no Stern

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2015, 07:34:41 PM »
If i buy big juicy melons
they will be at the supermarket. :D
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2015, 07:38:28 PM »
the same place i "purchase"(big word for a commoner) my pineapple coolie :D
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2015, 08:02:56 PM »
AMD will have one of these beauties to play.
When Sydney has the launch party I think it will be a popular night.

Some people are saying the machine is too expensive but I am sure there are a thousand or more people who are cashed up with disposable incomes and it will make a nice addition.
It is going to be a limited edition.

Resale prices should be very high if the game is as good as most think it is going to be.

Really looking forward to seeing the official press release with photos and videos. The colours look amazing.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2015, 08:12:08 PM »
I reckon it'll sell cause it's actually being made :) for me no thanks :(
Who doesn't like big juicy melons  %$%
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:20:10 PM by GORGAR 1 »

Offline Pinprick

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2015, 09:53:11 PM »

RRP - $6500 USD = $8500 AUD + AMD markup = $9500 - $10000 + freight to your door.

Hang on . . . AMD must be buying at Wholesale  . . . . therefore their markup is WAY more than +12% or $1,000.
Hence there is more than one bad guy involved in this GREED driven fiasco.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 09:54:44 PM by Pinprick »
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2015, 10:13:33 PM »
Spot on, PP.  ^^^

That's what I have found based on past experience with the US distros that have so much leeway with their "under the table" deals. They buy at a special rate depending on how much clout (i.e. sales turnover) they have with Stern and then use that bargaining muscle to pass on those savings to the consumer in order to get the sale instead of their competitor in the next US State over.

If only our dollar hadn't dropped into the mid 70s, it would still be worthwhile doing it this way. When it gets back above say .85 that might change though.  #@#

As most of us have realised, AMD are quick to raise retail prices with our fluctuating dollar, but not when it comes to lowering them.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2015, 10:36:51 PM »

RRP - $6500 USD = $8500 AUD + AMD markup = $9500 - $10000 + freight to your door.

Hang on . . . AMD must be buying at Wholesale  . . . . therefore their markup is WAY more than +12% or $1,000.
Hence there is more than one bad guy involved in this GREED driven fiasco.

would agree as well, have noticed in the past that AMD are about $2000 above the RRP of the US when our dollar was roughly 1 : 1 with the US dollar and passed on price rises even when our dollar was stronger than the US

they would have to start seeing a drop in sales.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Stern - Big Juicy Melons - going into production
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2015, 10:41:54 PM »
The USA has so many different distributors so there's competition :) maybe that's the problem here? I'd like a large discount but what do I do? Don't buy? But I like there products and I've had the older games but most bore me apart from a select few :)

EDIT: being a repeat customer I do get some discounts.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2015, 10:49:16 PM »
The USA has so many different distributors so there's competition :) maybe that's the problem here? I'd like a large discount but what do I do? Don't buy? But I like there products and I've had the older games but most bore me apart from a select few :)

EDIT: being a repeat customer I do get some discounts.

valid point, not alot that aussies can do if they like a new stern game
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2015, 10:52:59 PM »
I would still like one, but!

to quote the movie FULL METAL JACKET

"I bet you're the kind of guy who would fxxk a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around. I'll be watching you!

I have waited quite a few years for an original theme NIB, my dream may just be disappearing.  *.*
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 11:31:58 PM by oldskool1969 »
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.