Author Topic: HRP / APR Embryon project...  (Read 6768 times)

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
HRP / APR Embryon project...
« on: April 02, 2015, 08:44:03 PM »
Its been a long while since we have posted any playfield only work - so i figure doing 4 x Bally Embryon playfields at the same time could be a good way to get the ball rolling again  $!&

As a primer to the following documentation, we (HRP) have been contracted to restore the set of playfields by Nino (APR). I believe at least two of the playfields documented here and being used in APR games. I am not sure who is carrying out the rebuild on the other two. Nino may be able to chime in here and elaborate.

Pictured here are the playfields as received. Each vary in condition - from very good...to very ROUGH (Nino's personal game %.%)...

Overview...

Overview of each playfield as received...

Ninos... @@^

Step one is to evaluate the true condition of each playfield, so the added mylar, glue, contact, grime, wax, texta, pencil, crayon etc etc must be removed...

This example had a HEAP of added overlays of various material...

Mylar and all extras are carefully removed from each playfield...

Once the material is removed, there is a considerable amount of glue that stays in the timber grain. This has to be thoroughly cleaned out to ensure our paint work correctly adheres to the surface
Chemical is applied to the surface to help soften the glue...

This is just from the area between the flippers and slings, to help highlight the importance of this step...

This is carried out on all playfields, and they are all sanded as clean as possible...

Shooter lanes are all smoothed up at this point as well - someone asked about how to refresh these so i may try to do a separate write-up on our method down the track.
At this point the playfields start to reflect the starting point for our work requirement...

All inserts get a light pressure from the back to test their adhesive at this point. All inserts were re-glued on all playfields in focus...

Things like incorrect colour rollovers are noted and removed at this point. Of the 4 playfields only 1 playfield had quality rollovers that didnt need to be removed.

This particular playfield had an added rollover. Between conversations with the game owner, Nino, Daniel and Co - and considering the poor quality install job - it needed to go and wasn't part of Ballys prototyping history...

Basically - the first step in our process is to remove whatever has been added to the playfield over its lifetime; get it in its original form and get it VERY clean.
The playfields are then sealed/cleared in their original state, damage included. Not only does this provide a more level surface for repair work, it also ensures that our repairs are going over the top of a new, thoroughly cleaned surface. There is very little 'bling' at this stage - the clear will be mostly sanded away when we begin the colour work...

Here are the playfields in the booth and ready to roll. An adhesion promoter is used at this point...

The following images are of the fresh, cleared playfields. They will look very textured, but this will settle as the clear cures...

Ill leave the post here for now. Stage 1 is now complete and i will update this thread once we get into the repaints and other processes used in stage 2.
Ill do my best to answer questions people have about the process as we go along as well so feel free to post in here.

Big thanks to APR for lining this project up. Its a great opportunity for the owners of these games and further demonstrates the services on offer between the HRP/APR partnership.

Offline Pinballer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: HRP / APR Embryon project...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 09:19:21 PM »
Really looking forward to following your progress.

Are you willing to share the name of the product you use to clean and remove the mylar adhesive with?

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 09:33:35 PM »
 #*# Superb work Tim! Will be an interesting thread for sure!

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 09:36:42 PM »
Informative and valuable thread.
Nice work and thanks for sharing.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 12:11:29 AM »
Look forward to this one seeing one is mine this time. Will these be on your site as well?
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 10:19:46 AM »
This has been a long process already.

The story started around three years ago when I purchased Wotto's Embryon. I've always wanted one, and I didn't care about the condition. This is a keeper. The second game was a customer's, which was brought down with another game for restoration. So now I have two games. Tim and Stu form Platinum Pinball / HRP and amongst many discussions, these playfields were brought up. A unique opportunity to do two playfields. One for my game and one for a customer. I helped another customer buy Steve's (Steve2010) Embryon. A really nice example, but with a couple of issues that could benefit from a touch up and clear. I then spoke to Rob (Pinball God), and his needed work. So these two games had their playfields dropped off. They will be restored by Tim and Stu, and then I will re assemble these two playfields. I will have two separate restoration threads on the customer's Embryon and my Personal Embryon.

In summary - here is a unique opportunity to have four Embryon playfields in one room at one time (not done since the production line ?). This will showcase Tim and Stu's incredible skills, and APR will continue the re assembly of two of the playfields and the NIB restoration of two other games. Simply put - this is a VERY unique opportunity.

In addition - Members can see how much effort is put into this type of work - not just the process of stripping and assembling - but the preparation and the detail that is part of this level of work. It is a really unique opportunity to showcase the services NOW available through our respective business'.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinballfan

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 04:04:21 PM »
Tim definitely does some nice work
Have had a few playfields and machines restored by him.
Love threads like this and watching the transformation

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 05:25:54 PM »
Great work Tim & Stu.

Amazing skills and cannot wait to see the end result.  I think its fair to say there would not be too many pinball restorers in the world doing 4 Embryon playfields at once.
I think you win that contest   &&

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 05:38:04 PM »
Awesome project to take on, I'll be looking forward to the updates. 4 very lucky Embryon owners.

bobaloobus

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 08:50:25 PM »
Look forward to this one seeing one is mine this time. Will these be on your site as well?

Same here, I dont know why I always get called a customer when I'm a paying member ???

bobaloobus

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 09:42:49 PM »

Same here, I dont know why I always get called a customer when I'm a paying member  #@#

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 09:50:45 PM »
Customers a better name than Tim calls me so I'd take it as a win and enjoy your finished Playfield lol  %.%

bobaloobus

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 10:04:48 PM »
Customers a better name than Tim calls me so I'd take it as a win and enjoy your finished Playfield lol  %.%
[/quote

lol  yeah but I wiould still ike to be reckonised as a member after the amount of contracts ive had with apr...]

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 10:26:57 PM »
Is there a financial point where just buying a new Playfield is better than repairing the old one then add clear cost ? Assuming the new playfield is a avail then u have international ship costs plus purchase.
Must be a close call on some jobs. Which do you do, restore or replace ?

Is that a valid question ? For others thinking about this process. ?

The work is amazing.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:28:32 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 10:54:17 PM »
Is there a financial point where just buying a new Playfield is better than repairing the old one then add clear cost ? Assuming the new playfield is a avail then u have international ship costs plus purchase.
Must be a close call on some jobs. Which do you do, restore or replace ?

Is that a valid question ? For others thinking about this process. ?

The work is amazing.

Prior to taking on any High End Restoration, part of the research is to ascertain if a NOS playfield is available, or, if CPR are looking to reproduce this title. Being the CPR Distributor, I knew the plastics set was coming, and there are no immediate plans to repro the playfield or backglass "at this time". This may change in the future - but at the time this opportunity presented itself, it was not an option. Even if it was, there's at least an 18 month wait for CPR to complete their current pre order list. Given my playfield is one of the four, I would not wait anyway - and I can assure you, this would not be an option for the other owners.

Looking from the point of view of repro VS restored.

If there are no plans to repro, then restoration is the ONLY method. I sat on my playfield for 3 years. If Tim and Stu were not going to restore mine, I'd wait until a repro is done, or, source a NOS. Wait until you see the "before" and "after" photos on mine - there's no way anyone would attempt that. If I was to send overseas to Bill Davis etc - there's at least a 5 year wait. I'm not even sure they would accept it. BEFORE I bought the game off Wotto, i was promised a NOS from a well known Pinball Collector - that turned out to be a pipedream (Not Wotto).

So let's assume a repro IS available. Landing a playfield from CPR is around $1100 per playfield - that includes shipping at the current Aussie dollar rate. The old playfield still has to be removed and replaced with the repro. So labour casts to do this are the same for REPRO and RESTORED. The restoration of these playfields is slightly more than that.

The options are ;

Leave "as is" and just play the game.

Restore the game as "best effort" with what is available at the time.

In this case, there is no option. Given I've seen Tim and Stu's work, I have no problem with the restoration over waiting years for a repro that might never happen, as it provides the Embryon owners with the best possible outcome. What is often overlooked, it the amount of hours that are spent simply prepping the games - it takes 8 hours just to STRIP the playfield. Documentation takes time - this is BEFORE Tim and Stu have the blank playfield.

Some owners WANT their original playfields restored. So even if a repro is available, they still want their restored.

I just received Evel Knievel playfields, and they are amazing. this could be the only field worth a repro as it is predominatly white, and would need a lot of work on an original, but I digress..

I hope i answered the question !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia