Author Topic: LAH "Ripper" - kickback issues (F9 Fuse) & LHS Flipper  (Read 6034 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
OK clear head this morning.  The magnet control board J2 pin1 is 50 VDC vio/yel and goes to PPB J7 pin 3.  On the ripper kickback vio/yel 50 VDC also goes to PPB J7 pin 3.  Here is the common source, the fault that you have is on the magnet control board, just order and replace the 3 transistors.  Whilst you have the board out reflow the header pins with solder, test the resistors, diodes and the 74HCT273 IC.  Thou I highly doubt anything other than transistors are gone.

You can get the transistors from here.

http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=17&pg=2

Like I said before very common for these boards to be faulty, anyone with a LAH should at least pull the board out and reflow the solder on the header pins and transistors as matter of prevention.

Awesome!.  Thanks again guys.  I will check Jaycar today (99% they dont have them) otherwise will order during week and update as soon as its done.

On a final note, I was reading about a 'mod' done to the GNR magnet boards to stop them locking on.  Is this something that is advised once I get this problem sorted out.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Jaycar have the IRF540 in stock.  Will they work or does it have to be an L?

THanks

Offline humpalot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
# 20N10L
# 12N10L
# 22NE10L
# IRF530
# STP22NE1
# 19N06L
# NTE2987
# IRL540

Transistors are all similar and may work.

The L has a different amp rating, but could be OK.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 12:54:34 PM by humpalot »

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
# 20N10L
# 12N10L
# 22NE10L
# IRF530
# STP22NE1
# 19N06L
# NTE2987
# IRL540

Transistors are all similar and may work.

The L has a different amp rating, but could be OK.

I grabbed them, they are IRF540N...

I wont put them in if they may do damage do anything else...I was reading another post on AA in relation to these as well:

http://www.aussiearcade.com.au/showthread.php?t=9863&highlight=P20N10

Given that there is an L on the existing mosfets I may hold off...unless someone else has actually used the IRF540N or can confirm they are safe!

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
OK done some research for you, the replacement that you put in must be an L.

At least I've learnt something  ^^^

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Yeh, not sure about the trigger for the "L"being logic and the "F: - im not sure. One thing is for certain - the IRF540 WILL NOT WORK unless you swap 2 of the legs over - the "gates"are in different positions,

However IRF540 has a slightly higher current rating

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Yeh, not sure about the trigger for the "L"being logic and the "F: - im not sure. One thing is for certain - the IRF540 WILL NOT WORK unless you swap 2 of the legs over - the "gates"are in different positions,

However IRF540 has a slightly higher current rating

For the sake of $12.00 its not worth the stuffing around as the L's are available locally.  I will order some now and fingers crossed it fixes the magnets & the ripper coil!

Is this board the same as the one on the GNR and subject to the same noise issues?

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
OK done some research for you, the replacement that you put in must be an L.

At least I've learnt something  ^^^

OK, the IRL540's went in today in aux board (thanks for quick delivery MarkC)...The powerboard went back in with all new fuse clips, all back together.  No fuses blowing on powerup...Magnets now coming on in diagnostics...ripper initially not working, replaced coil with spare and now 100% working.  #*#   #*#   #*#

Thanks again for your expert advise and I can now put 3 x minor board repairs under my belt.

Machine is now 100% playable and I got to say what an awesome game.  When those magnets kick in they are simply CRAZY!!  The ripper is fantastic too.  Wicked game..

Will have to try to source a replacement bottom assembly for crane as I am 99% sure it must be missing gear teeth as it has lost about 10% of its 180deg travel.  I think this was an existing issue with the op putting some rubber on one end to make contact with switch.

Thanks again guys!  Much appreciated.

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Hey well done  ^^^

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
thanks Marty
glad we had them in stock

mark

ps  u get my email ?

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
thanks Marty
glad we had them in stock

mark

ps  u get my email ?

I did thanks Mark.  I will speak with Ian today hopefully and pick up the paint on Sat....

Thanks again..

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Very pleased with the results Marty ! Good stuff from everyone that helped - especially Mick & Gavin #*#
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia