Author Topic: AC/DC - Stern - 2012 - 1st release review  (Read 22162 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: AC/DC - review
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 12:14:39 AM »

Great review - my wife will be having a word with you I suspect when I explain it was all your fault.......   &&
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 12:16:07 AM »
Contact specialwhenlit (ap member) for mirror blades - $110 plus post.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 09:53:07 AM »
CC, how can any person who plays this machine have a undue bias ? you either like it or not when u play it and give other people your feelings.. The only person who can have a bias to the machine is someone who works for the manufacturer who may do a review. Sometimes I wonder what u write and why ?   

Your review was biased, saying everyone WILL love this machine etc etc is a classic example....please don't speak for me me or other people who are not caught up in this malestrom of hype.
Let Jady do all the reivews..it was excellent and gave me a much better perspective on the pin.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 12:00:27 PM »
CC,
biased. yeh right.  %.% %.% %.% %.% %.%  the dozen people who emailed me and phoned me excited about my review were thankful, and not one person put me down.
In fact, several people said they felt better about the deposit that they had put down and felt the review had made them feel comfortable with their ac/dc decision.
Just like Swinksy's review, it was fun and it was his opinion. If anyone was really positive, or really critical, would that person be biased ?.. of course not, that is just ridiculous. "Everyone will love this pin" was a figure of speech. Haters love nothing.

it seems that every person in the world who has decided to purchase a AC/DC pinny, didnt buy it because of a educated decision, but they only purchased it because they were caught up in your "the malestrom of hype". That insults every AP member who bought a AC/DC pinny and all the other buyers.

Stop being a hater Darren. Say positive things mate that bring the forum together, not apart.  ^^^

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:02:47 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 12:06:01 PM »
actually Jady's review is a  little misleading as his reviewing a modded ACDC pro not the stock Standard re the subwoofer kit and the shaker motor, whereas Brett's review was the Factory ACDC pro

but at the end of the day both had a positive review of the pro version
one on the stock standard pro
and one on a enhanced pro ( which will help people to bling there games)

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 12:15:27 PM »
I will probably buy a red, yellow and silver/chrome set of pincabs from RTBB just to try out on the new machine. The colours I have left over I can put on other machines.
   What Swinksy's review also taught me was that the first dozen or so AC/DC Pro models in the country might have the Proto type software roms in them, cause I did hear someone saying something when I was in Sydney, and also on a USA pinball review site, that the updated roms would be available when the Pro models goes into full production etc, and that test or early brand new Proto games would be best suited to upgrade/check game roms. (safer to just update the rom anywy, even if the rom says its the same).     The games at AMD, and the newcaste Pro model, might have some small playfield set up differences etc.

Great review - my wife will be having a word with you I suspect when I explain it was all your fault.......   (quote Nick-Pinnies4me)
Are u ordering a machine Nick. It sounds like u are seriously looking/thinking about a AC/DC pin. If so that is great. If you do go ahead, I would look forward to your opinions on the game too.  ^^^ Nick, are u aiming for a LE if u can, or the Pro model. We just have to convert Nino now.lol excellent.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:34:40 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 01:02:32 PM »
I just want to add to why I gave a review.....

- I knew that some people may want to apply some mods to their new investment - pride of joy, so thought this was a opportunity to share with others as sited machines blinged up don't come around that often - a try before you buy experience.
- in another thread there was talk of cabinet protectors so it was a opportunity to give people a visual of what it looks like giving some people a choice - should I or shouldn't I buy them / fit them, or what flavour pincab's should I put on
- same again with sub kits, leds and mirror blades - wouldn't you hate to spend the dollars ($400 - $500 for these items) and put it on and go mmmm that looks worse or has minimal effect for $ spent

At the end of the day I knew I wasn't going to buy one, though Cavey did have a very positive review and credit to him if you are collector of the latest Stern pinballs or a fan of AC/DC as I think he captured the hype and excitement of what is to come and shared it with so many people - helping so many people.

But in saying that I was never going to buy one, and went there mainly to see what the hype was all about. I must say that I was surprised and enjoyed my experience and will go back to play it again but like I said the theme and layout is not what I prefer - each to there own.

Lastly I am the type of person that likes to do a bit of research before spending some big dollars and I appreciate when someone else can share with others (including me) an objective review about a product. I have watched the buzz along with lots of people throwing big dollars with only seeing a few photos. Therefore if I can help others view it from a slightly different perspective and it then helps them cement the deal then I am happy to share. And if you do get the machine without playing it, base it on the theme, a review from pinball news, cavey and myself remember they are our own opinions and yours might differ so don't blame us....

Tomorrow I head to AMD to get some parts and hopefully have another go (if any left there) and maybe the guys there can educate me about some of the goals within the game so I can relay on to you all. If you want me to find out anything just ask.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 01:33:05 PM »
 We just have to convert Nino now.lol excellent.

Nah - not me. I'm not a fan of the band so it would not be in my collection. I would rather spend my money on projects. It's all about the journey for me. I don't "play" as much as I "work". If I was to keep another DMD (other than CV) it would be a Scared Stiff and maybe Ironman.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 02:19:40 PM »
WOW , I feel sorry for people who write and share negativity within this forum . Share your stoke if you feel the need . Share your disappointment if thats what is required . Negativity breeds negativity .
I would much rather read a post that entices me to at least try something I may not have before than totally write it off .
I have not ordered AC/DC but after playing it , WELL let me say it is very cool , fast , unforgiving and appears to be a very deep rule set . Most of the people I saw play it were very impressed with a few minor issues being the exception , but as it is a pro ( basic ) model you expect some flaws . Operators should be excited that they have a quick turnaround , broad appeal money making machine with a lower buy price than previous machines . A great theme to keep re-igniting the flame of our hobby .
I  think we should be grateful there is a place where you can express your thoughts reviews for the masses and make an educated decision based on many peoples thoughts . We all have this passion - PINBALL -
I am happy to read the reviews , cheers lads . Hope my minor input at least makes people try it .
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 02:31:57 PM »

Great review - my wife will be having a word with you I suspect when I explain it was all your fault.......   (quote Nick-Pinnies4me)
Are u ordering a machine Nick. It sounds like u are seriously looking/thinking about a AC/DC pin.

Had a good hard think about it but I only have a passing interest in the band and only have one spot available in the room, and several games I would like to have ahead of this. But as themes go, this is the most attractive Stern to date for me (aside from Simpsons which is too stop/go for my tastes).
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline chillie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 03:40:56 PM »
Nick, As I know you are a AFM fan like myself you will most likely enjoy AC/DC. I have only played a few games so far on a standard Pro with early code.

But I have come away with a great first impression it feels like AFM specifically the smoothness of the ramps. This is a big call but it is without doubt for me the closest Stern have come to achieving the feel of a Williams Bally pin. 

Unlike some previous Stern Pro's this game feels complete. Yes one will get more features with the Premium or an LE and the code will develop. But at $5950 the Pro is great value.

I have a BIBLE ordered but have seriuosly considered the Pro.

The only negative is the canon being that I am short will view of the RHS inlane is partialy obstructed. I have the same issue with CV but have got used to that so I expect I will on AC/DC also.

Of course you will form your own opinion on the game.

Chris

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 11:37:29 AM »

The only negative is the canon being that I am short will view of the RHS inlane is partialy obstructed.

Chris

LOL
I hope I'm taller than you

Offline chillie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 11:50:35 AM »
We are about even greg. Did not worry any of the other guys including other height limited ones.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 01:05:48 PM »

Nick, As I know you are a AFM fan like myself you will most likely enjoy AC/DC. I have only played a few games so far on a standard Pro with early code.

I suspect I will like it, but I'm going to wait until I get my hands on one to play before deciding if its for me. Looking forward to playing though, can't wait!!

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 06:48:24 PM »
Went to AMD to get some parts and have a game on the LE Transformers and AC/DC

1. If you locate a machine to test, " bonus or software glitch ???" hold the fire button down while launching the ball until another ball is launched into the plunger lane - instant multball - this will most definitely change once a software upgrade is issued.

2. Highly unlikely to get LE backglasses to swap out, couldn't confirm Premiums either way....

3. for Brett - the shooting a ball up the left side completes a loop around to the right but shooting up the right side does no complete a loop to the left

4. The figure near the pops is a extra by luke I think as it was not on the Pro.

Also mentioned to Norbet that a Home sited machine should have a feature added to it - that you can use the machine to play the 12 songs like a jukebox after a game is finished and machine sitting there idle - he said he will try to suggest to Stern as a turn on / off feature maybe as a menu feature or button push combo.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 06:53:45 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts