Author Topic: my thoughts on ACDC pinball  (Read 1935 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: my thoughts on ACDC pinball
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2012, 04:37:38 PM »
@Everyone else
You guys crack me up.
For the last 18 months, a lot of people have bagged out Wizard of Oz. When confronted about your attitude you have replied that everyone is allowed to have an opinion and should not have their opinion censored

Then some one comes along, does not like your precious AC/DC game, and you flip out

Well said Pete.  @@*
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2012, 04:38:45 PM »
@Jason
the reason I asked if you had played other Sterns is that Stern games ‘feel’ different to Bally/Williams (and probably your old Gottlieb)
I own 6 Stern games. Monopoly and Ironman feel very lightweight, where Lord of the Rings and Spiderman seem to feel more ‘solid’

Even the sounds are different to a B/W
(I am thinking of installing a sub-woofer in a game and see how much of a difference it makes)

So I was wondering if the different ‘feel’ had colored your judgment?

its hard to say Pete, but i did play a capcom once that was completely different to anything i have ever played before and man i loved that game, it blew me away. and im not closed off to other brands either.

i think i will give a few more sterns ago, im not writing off stern,

Why do you have to own the machine to be able to judge game play?

you would think the idea is that you design a pinball to get people hooked straight up so they keep pumping their money through. if you need to buy the thing to learn to love it then it sort of defeats the purpose.
as i said you can have a hard game that kicks your ass and takes your money, thats not a problem it still needs to have that eliment for you to go back to it so it can take your money some more. if you need to be apinball wizard to enjoy a game, then it wont go down to well with the rest of the population like me who arent pinball wizards  lol.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 04:46:12 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2012, 04:46:36 PM »
@Everyone else
You guys crack me up.
For the last 18 months, a lot of people have bagged out Wizard of Oz. When confronted about your attitude you have replied that everyone is allowed to have an opinion and should not have their opinion censored

Then some one comes along, does not like your precious AC/DC game, and you flip out

Great to see the AC\DC police are out protecting their investments  <.>

It will be your turn soon Pete don't feel jealous mate  :lol

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2012, 04:54:58 PM »
there is a Tron at Timezone Surfers Paradise, and another in my lineup

thats a bit of a drive but could be a good excuse for a drive, ill go through the sited pinball list and see where these games are. cheers

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2012, 05:06:31 PM »
I got defensive because of the way it was attacked I've never heard someone attack a machine so fiercely and really 99% like the game hear and overseas so I just wondered why? Cow corner I expect it lol cause I think most of his comments are tougne in cheek I think :-) but I could be wrong? Play a premium before you right it off but having said that I think the pro is awesome. Anyway you have the right to comment its a forum and only pinball, out of interest what's your fav title?

Peter

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2012, 05:10:06 PM »
out of interest what's your fav title?

thats like asking me which is my favorite girlfriend, i have to be carefull which one a say. lol  ^^^

but seriously im not sure there is so many good games out there, my grail which i own is SOF,
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 05:19:43 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2012, 05:55:19 PM »

I have a feeling that Geelong is a little too close :o

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2012, 06:53:34 PM »
I got defensive because of the way it was attacked I've never heard someone attack a machine so fiercely and really 99% like the game hear and overseas so I just wondered why? Cow corner I expect it lol cause I think most of his comments are tougne in cheek I think :-) but I could be wrong? Play a premium before you right it off but having said that I think the pro is awesome. Anyway you have the right to comment its a forum and only pinball, out of interest what's your fav title?

Peter

LOl- it wasnt fierce at all... i thought it was a refreshing and non biased apparaisal of the game and when i read it, i thought that i really must make an effort to play this game to see if i agreed or not.
In all honesty, us non ACDC owners tend to stay out of your threads and keep our mouths shut as you all seem to be a bit touchy feely about it.
I think DDToys comments have a larger relevance to the game than any comment here.. he owns the game and if i interpret correctly, the game comes together with the cannon so long as there are drops to fire at.
So the point here is that OK.. Its  a Steve Ritchie design... but surely it would have been better to put out 1 model.. no lower PF but with drops as standard... the blingy cabs of BIB etc could have been standard and the game would have been one game but with choice of cab colour and translite.... Sterns tendency to make a common mans game and then an upper class game ( im English... i know how it works!) is nonsense when it seems neither game is without a design fault.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »

I have a feeling that Geelong is a little too close :o

Is that an invite for the Geelong boys to the WoOz unveiling at Petes place  &&

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2012, 07:32:30 PM »
 $#$

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2012, 07:56:53 PM »
AC/DC works whether it has drop targets or not actually. Personally, I find the PRO plays alot faster because it doesnt have drop targets.
When u shoot the cannon on the PRO, u get lightning fast rebounds across to the other side of the playfield which can give u a varied amount of cool flukey shots that the drops wouldnt give.
  A super fast bottom playfield on the Pro comes care of not having drops. Thats why both the Pro and the other model are so differenmt in some ways and offer different feels.

Stern has always said the new generation of Pro machines will give shorter ball times, more challenge, and  much more random ball play. Thats where the Pro is a great machine. I think u could have both a Pro and a Premium AC/DC machine side by side in a collection and still really enjoy both machines. Its like having a V6 Turbo car sitting next to a big V8. Both are alot of fun, they just deliver the fun differently.

Also, some people love the bottom playfield on the LE/Premium etc, others dont. I have a game - CONGO with a bottom playfield already so i didnt need a game with a bottom playfield, but i can see why alot of people would want the machine with the bottom playfield, cause not many machines have it.

All these games, brand new Sterns, tend to be much better players to people if u LOVE the theme. If u love the theme, u tend to love the game. If u like the theme you like the game. If u arent crash hot on the theme, u arent going to be crash hot on the game.

The best thing about the current pinball market, is so many new titles are coming out per annum with Sterns typical 4 titles per year, so if u dont like one, u might love the next.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2012, 08:10:47 PM »
cavey what do you think of the popbumpers which are great, untill they drop out through that small gap with the wire across it?
when you fire the ball its straight into the popbumpers, which is good and then you start to get your heart racing with all the bumping going on like you do with popbumpers but then just trickles out afterwards down to the flippers, and i sort of felt let down, we all love the randomness of when popbumpers release the ball, god know where and at a million miles and hour. that was another thing i didnt like.
with the cannon position was just not in the right spot.
its fine to fire the ball where you want to but that lane way covering is just a bit much. a balls going to drain down the side but you have no view of it until its gone.
it also didnt feel real special just being able to get the cannon so easily.
 I'm sure you know what i mean, the cannon is one of those features you would just keep putting your coin in if you are garbage at playing just in the hopes that you can get a chance on one game to get to fire the cannon, but it wasnt that way.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 08:13:02 PM by Olivia_jason »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2012, 08:22:17 PM »
IF the latest software version is installed, the game is very very different to the earlier software, and I have my game set on hard/moderate, so u have to work to get a cannon shot and multiball from the cannon shot. Usually, shoot the left ramp apx 8 times to get a cannon shot which aint easy, or shoot other various things at random to get multiball, which again is not so easy with the game settings on what i would reccommend. Play a game with the software set up properly, and its a big difference etc.

Also, the pops on a Stern are and always have been super fast n loud. Best pops in the industry. The ball wire guide near the pops etc, has been put in again for one sole purpose, for the operator etc to make money. The best thing about centre drains on this Pro model is that it makes u nudge the machine, which makes u get into the game more etc. I am not a nudger on a pinny, but i do nudge on the AC/DC Pro in order to get longer super pop times plus extra ball time.

Play a Pro that has been set up properly, has the latest software, get a few helpful hints on how to get the best out of it, crank the music whilst having a cold bourban n coke in ya own house, and its a much bigger n better playing experience. Playing a game at a modern day arcarde with little or no atmosphere, and a game not set up properly, for a decent pinny player, and it sux.  Visit someone/a member with a Acca Dacca PRO and it will be a much better experience.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Olivia_jason

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2012, 08:35:36 PM »
the pop bumpers are good. but its after the bumpers finish thats the let down virtually where ever it gets fired it just slowly trickles down, it just slows it down with that little exit and you dont get the randomness of the popbumpers imo. your not having them fire the ball at you to get you straight into the pace.
im not a nudger in most cases, but when you have the ball bouncing on that little pin and you are not 100% sure weather it will fall down the side lane or back onto the flippers adds to the excitement of pinball. not being able to see that really takes away from it and given the chance to give it a nudge can either hamper its decision or help it lol. You know what i mean when you get the ball down the side, and its bouncing on that pin, and that feeling and thinking  "come on you bastard dont bounce down there". lol

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »
Play a Pro that has been set up properly, has the latest software, get a few helpful hints on how to get the best out of it, crank the music whilst having a cold bourban n coke in ya own house, and its a much bigger n better playing experience. Playing a game at a modern day arcarde with little or no atmosphere, and a game not set up properly, for a decent pinny player, and it sux.  Visit someone/a member with a Acca Dacca PRO and it will be a much better experience.

..Can be said about all pins, except the software bit... none of mine really have any and its hard to turn up the chimes.. but you get my drift LOL