Author Topic: STOP PRESS::: New Homepin LED DMD in early development  (Read 55164 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
#*# Awesome stuff Mr Homepin. For a pinny that is constantly in  the on/attract status I wonder what the energy savings will be also? good selling point to get more pins sited me thinks  ^^^
Good work - need a new display for my GI - best game of all time!  %.%

Not a lot if any id have thought... plasma is high voltage low current... LED low voltage high current
WOW, would never have thought that. Learn something new everyday. Really would have thought LED is much more energy efficient as it produced much less heat except for maybe the drivers.

That depends on what you are comparing it to... incandescent bulbs.. yes.. the notion of heating an element so hot that it burns white inside a vaccuum is very archaic... neon, compact cold flourescent lighting (CCFL) and LED all work semi cold... LED gives heat out of the back... CCFL and neon have the resistance in the cathodes and some heat is present here... but all 3 are very efficient in producing light for very little power input. LED while only having a current requirement of around 20mA is very good.. problem is that you need lots of them to be able to do anything and so the current adds up... neon signs work on 24mA... CCFL around 20mA. All 3 forms of lighting are considered green and sustainable.

SMPS drivers for LED are mostly around 80% efficient.. many are far below this... what you draw from your 240V source is what your power supply requires.. not what your light source requires.