Author Topic: STOP PRESS::: New Homepin LED DMD in early development  (Read 54863 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
I hope those workers have ear protection

The more I learn about the Chinese, the more impressed I am
My son was over there for a few weeks last year, their public transport makes it look like Australia is still using steam engingines

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
can you make the small 128x 16 dmd as well?  These too are hard to get and expensive.

I have added that to the 'wish list'

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline andtan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
This is great news   $#$ I can't wait to see a working version.

I would think the white LEDs are the way to go, that way I could change the colours as often as I want ^^^

Offline Pinprick

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
BRILLIANT
In every sense of the word.
 @@*
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:49:43 PM by Pinprick »
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Great work again Mike

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Might be a bit hard to see in this line drawing but on the RHS you can see an 'end on' view. The printed circuit board is on the left and the black plastic moulded frame on the right. I have added a lip around the edge so that, from the front, it will fill the existing area provided for by the game manufacturer without the need to add a foam trim.

Doing it this way also leaves space on the PCB for the driver IC's and other stuff - they fit under the lip. The overall height is 2MM lower than a glass DMD so that will allow room for a coloured filter that will fit over the entire front.......well, that's the plan at this stage anyway......

Offline vidme

• Forum Posts:
would using rgb leds and a adjustment to change colour be too expensive?

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
would using rgb leds and a adjustment to change colour be too expensive?

The LEDs I am having custom made are only 1.5MM in diameter (white) - to fit three chips in this package (R,G & B) AND then have 4 legs on each device takes the leg count from 8192 legs (in the product as it stands) to 16384 with RGB LEDs - I don't think they would pysically fit on the board???

Then you have to multiply the driver circuitry by three as well - again, I doubt all the chips needed would pysically fit on the board as it is - it could be done with a seperate stand alone driver board.

Doing this would multiply the cost of the product by many times and decrease the reliability.

The only way it would be marginally economical (or even physically possible) would be to use surface mounted RGB LEDs and that is not where I want to go because the product then becomes throw away.

Much easier and FAR cheaper to clip on a coloured filter.

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
When will these be available Mike? Do u think they will be cheaper than $250 that u get a Cherry display for? I need a new display for my Gilligans Island, will wait for yours but depends how far away they are? Cheers Dean
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
When these are produced and a blue filter is possible, I'll be all over it for my Tron. Looks like a great design!

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
When will these be available Mike? Do u think they will be cheaper than $250 that u get a Cherry display for? I need a new display for my Gilligans Island, will wait for yours but depends how far away they are? Cheers Dean

These won't be ready until the end of the year AT THE EARLIEST. There are many many things to have done. Tooling for the plastic frame, actual manufacture of the 1.5MM LEDs (5 million pcs is the minimum order), final tweaking of the circuitry and then manufacture of the PCBs in one facility - then the surface mount parts populated by another factory - then off to the final factory for LED insertion and burn-in/testing.

Then there are the colour filters (all the primary colours at this stage as well as the original orange) - plus the mould I have to have made for the clips to hold the filter in place........

Not to mention the design and manufacture of the small add-on power supply to run it along with its associated wiring looms to be made - packaging to be designed, printed, die cut and assembled - too many other small details to list here.

This project will involve, as a bare minimum, three extended trips to China with at least three weeks each trip dedicated to this project alone and an investment (at this stage) of around AU$200K (and that will no doubt climb as it always seems to) as the setup and initial run costs NOT counting any of my time or the time of my staff. The minimum order runs are massive when you are looking at something like this.

I really have no idea of price at this early stage but naturally I have to meet the existing market which stands at US$259 retail. I am hoping to beat that by a long way but currently I have no idea.

I am doing my best to make this product high quality, repairable and as universal as possible rather than make it as cheap as possible. This takes a lot of time, bench work and leg work talking to many different engineers at many different factories.

The further time moves on - the harder to get and more expensive plasma displays will become as production of these by all three manufacturers, Vishay, Cherry &  Babcock has now ceased. Vishay do make a LED replacement and it sells for (more than) US$500.

The other two manufacturers of LED replacements are around the $259 price mark (and higher) and people complain about them having 'lines' etc - this is because they both use industry standard LED blocks, probably because they don't have the right contacts to do anything else?

That's the long answer - the short answer is - if you can buy a plasma display now for $200~250, BUY IT!

It's the hundreds of small things that go unseen - just being able to converse with engineers in technical terms is a test sometimes - I'm hoping my new book will help there (nearly $200):

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Thanks Mike for all your work
It is appreciated

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
I haven't pulled the dmd's out but could these replacements be used only in Bally or can they be used in Stern's as well.

I will definitely buy one off you with a green filter for a cftbl  ^^^ , and happy to wait
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
I haven't pulled the dmd's out but could these replacements be used only in Bally or can they be used in Stern's as well.

I will definitely buy one off you with a green filter for a cftbl  ^^^ , and happy to wait

These will fit Bally/Williams (WMS), Stern, Gottlieb - all machines that use the standard 128x32 display - the majority of DMD machines in fact.

Offline PinballMagazine

• Forum Posts:
  • www.pinball-magazine.com
    • Pinball Magazine
Great news with some clever solutions! Good luck!
Managing editor of Pinball Magazine: www.pinball-magazine.com