Author Topic: STOP PRESS::: New Homepin LED DMD in early development  (Read 54882 times)

Offline Redback

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
About time,

lol,  @@*

Red
Found hobby, now need coin

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
They will be plug and play BUT there will be a difference....more details later
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
i will be ordering some thats for sure
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
#*# Awesome stuff Mr Homepin. For a pinny that is constantly in  the on/attract status I wonder what the energy savings will be also? good selling point to get more pins sited me thinks  ^^^
Good work - need a new display for my GI - best game of all time!  %.%
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
#*# Awesome stuff Mr Homepin. For a pinny that is constantly in  the on/attract status I wonder what the energy savings will be also? good selling point to get more pins sited me thinks  ^^^

Not a lot if any id have thought... plasma is high voltage low current... LED low voltage high current

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:

Not a lot if any id have thought... plasma is high voltage low current... LED low voltage high current

You're pretty right Gav - my display (as calculated currently) is about 1A5 at 5V

What this display does of course is it gets rid of the need for ALL of the high voltages.

Before someone picks up on this as well - I have already organised a SEPERATE supply of the 5V so that it will NOT load down the existing boards.

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth

WOW, would never have thought that. Learn something new everyday. Really would have thought LED is much more energy efficient as it produced much less heat except for maybe the drivers.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:

WOW, would never have thought that. Learn something new everyday. Really would have thought LED is much more energy efficient as it produced much less heat except for maybe the drivers.

That depends on what you are comparing it to... incandescent bulbs.. yes.. the notion of heating an element so hot that it burns white inside a vaccuum is very archaic... neon, compact cold flourescent lighting (CCFL) and LED all work semi cold... LED gives heat out of the back... CCFL and neon have the resistance in the cathodes and some heat is present here... but all 3 are very efficient in producing light for very little power input. LED while only having a current requirement of around 20mA is very good.. problem is that you need lots of them to be able to do anything and so the current adds up... neon signs work on 24mA... CCFL around 20mA. All 3 forms of lighting are considered green and sustainable.

SMPS drivers for LED are mostly around 80% efficient.. many are far below this... what you draw from your 240V source is what your power supply requires.. not what your light source requires.

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth

SMPS drivers for LED are mostly around 80% efficient.. many are far below this... what you draw from your 240V source is what your power supply requires.. not what your light source requires.
[/quote]

Yeah sweet. Definitely runs cooler with LED rather than plasma which is a big + for longevity of the product. I suppose $ saved is minimal in energy consumption over the course of a year due to it's size. Still a good selling point though. Wouldn't you agree?

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:

Yeah sweet. Definitely runs cooler with LED rather than plasma which is a big + for longevity of the product. I suppose $ saved is minimal in energy consumption over the course of a year due to it's size. Still a good selling point though. Wouldn't you agree?

I think bigger selling points are the complete removal of all high voltages (and also the ability to ignore the troublesome high voltage regulator circuitry) and that these displays (at this point in the design anyway) will be repairable - so if a single pixel goes out you don't need to replace a block of LEDs as you do in the other designs.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Great news for us hobbyists! Awesome product, can't wait to see how it all turns out!!

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
That is definitely excellent news Mike !! How are you going to top this one ?

Awesome work  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Here is a short video of the factory showing the LED sorting/testing machine. It tests each LED and measures its exact light frequency. Any that fall outside set parameters are rejected. It then automatically organises them the correct way around and with exact spacing onto cardboard tapes ready for the insertion machine:

After the LEDs are ready they are fitted to the LED inserting machine. It takes each LED and puts it the correct way around in the correct hole. This machine is (again) assembling three colour (RGB) panels for outdoor signs - it inserts a row of red LEDs, then a row of green and finally a row of blue - then starts again for the next row:

All of these machines have to be setup for my product to be run and this is one of the reasons the factory can't do short runs - it simply isn't economically feasable:

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Amazing technology - I guess it makes sense that there are machines like this but first time I have seen them!

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Amazing technology - I guess it makes sense that there are machines like this but first time I have seen them!

Yep, you should see the REST of the factory, it's like a hospital BUT some would still cry "Chinese shit" - hahahaha