Author Topic: "Dukes of Hazzard" Custom Pinball  (Read 51066 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: "Dukes of Hazzard" Custom Pinball
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2016, 12:03:11 AM »
Yes Jady it is a start but hmmmm not really world shattering  %.% just muckin' everything has to start somewhere and where better than the flippers. Look forward to progressions.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2016, 12:29:26 AM »
gotta start from somewhere, but when you are designing you realise so many little things

the images do suggest one thing though - no shooter lane - so a little non traditional but aiming for a wide body feel in a standard width game
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2016, 12:32:00 AM »
Yes indeed, that proves my eye for detail is poor. Nice touch, now you got my interest as to why.  ^^^

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2016, 09:22:00 AM »
Yes indeed, that proves my eye for detail is poor. Nice touch, now you got my interest as to why.  ^^^

for a few reasons,
- wanting to follow Trudeau with wider spaced flippers as commonly most designers have the flipper bat post holes 6 3/4", 6 7/8" to 7" where Trudeau does 7 1/8" but his become really tight inlanes and dividers - like GB has 4 but that game loses the timber stiffeners in this area and replaced with thin metal plates.
- wanting to have a even balanced apron with the drain area dead centre not like the traditional to the lhs due to the shooter / plunger lane
- wanting to have the ability to comfortably have 4 inlanes to the flippers (2 each side) or something different 3 inlanes on the lhs and 1 on the rhs
- also removing the traditional shooter lane then allows on average about 40mm of playfield playing area as well - getting close to that wide body effect
- if I have a new mech in under the apron that can house 3 balls and shoot up between the flippers - removes one mech from a regular build reducing game cost and possible use that saving towards another feature.
or
- if I have the ball drain under the apron and then redirected to say with the DoH game possibly redirect the balls to exit from the Dukes Barn to feed to the rhs inlane / flipper

With the above I would still have a skill shot feature but timed for 10 seconds to achieve with a choice of 3 to shoot.

Basically am wanting to try a few things differently and hopefully change the game play feel a little (hopefully not for the worst).

So the design is a temporary and the inlanes will probably change to slimmer stern type ones.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2016, 09:30:35 AM »
as for the sheriff badge in the game, the dukes are always in trouble with the law so the badge will be a focal point (for missions to achieve) with something like a graphic of dirt "donut" circle work around the badge as the Dukes like to tease the law.

as a design just this feature is important as I wanted the badge to be true to the graphic scale and then suit current available inserts - 1 1/16" equilateral triangle inserts and a 1 1/2" round insert for the centre - I was thinking of fully lighting the triangle but then there is no meat left in the playfield between the triangles so decided to light up the leaf scroll work and then the centre scale.

game will have 6 different challenges relating to the badge points with the centre then being a wizard mode and then once the badge is white lit (silver badge) then a harder batch of challenges turn the silver badge to a gold badge with yellow light and the centre then being the grand wizard mode. I won't to have that clear visual of modes to complete and how far you are away from a wizard mode. One of the apron rule cards will clearly state what has to be achieved to lit each point of the badge so the playfield is not full of writing
eg1. 50 x hits of the pops starts a bar fit and police have to go in there to arrest / chase the dukes
eg2. 5 x runs through cooters upgrades the General Lee with a dixie air horn but causes noise disturbance - which will turn on a real dixie air horn when a rump is completed

these are just ideas but I want to ensure players have to uterlise all features of the playfield yet simple to read off a card what to shot for.

in the end a fun learning design exercise.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:50:06 AM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re:
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2016, 10:18:13 AM »
Love your ideas and enthusiasm and best of luck with the project.

My only request is you put measurments in metric....lets get the yanks moving with the times!

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 12:18:32 PM »
Love your ideas and enthusiasm and best of luck with the project.

My only request is you put measurements in metric....lets get the yanks moving with the times!

cheers Rob

measurements will be a combination:
cabinet - imperial as is based on a 90's Bally / WMS
playfield outer shape - imperial to suit cabinet
flipper spacing - imperial to keep with well known flipper spacing
components (inserts / posts / off the shelf mechs) - imperial to suit what is available at hand
design layout, toys, ramps - metric as it is much easier to work with.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline vinito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2016, 07:40:14 AM »
I have a really reasonable request.
I want to see a Hitler video of DoH on YouTube !!! #*#
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2016, 10:28:12 AM »
A small update to feed those that are curious. Have been finishing off some other projects but hope to get in to this more in near future.

I decided to move away from the large sheriff badge for modes and go for something like this.

9 mods related to the layout and still need to come up with shorter catchy names for them.

- the layout will be 3 flippers
- the lhs middle will be cooters
- the rhs middle will be the farm
- inserts leading to the centre upwards take you to Boss Hoggs office, Boars Nest

- 3 rectangle inserts (modes) to the lhs are cooter related
1. Hazzard race
2. stunt show
3. police chase

- 3 rectangle inserts (modes) to the rhs are farm related
4. save the farm
5. moonshine still
6. moonshine deliveries

- 2 vertical rectangle inserts
7. crack the safe
8. steel the pokies

- round insert in the centre is the police badge

- rectangular insert above the round insert is the 9th mode
9. break out of jail

the 4 inserts leading to the inalnes to the flippers will spell barn - lighting will activate the 3rd barn door flipper but will be dead until it is spelt adding some slight challenge and just not a give away as without it you won't be able to access the jump ramp, boss hogs office and the courthouse

The round insert is the wizard mode 1 and 2
1. white light is a silver badge and will be a night time moonshine delivery with the sheriffs in hot pursuit so a blackout mode
2. will be something like a day and night race with lighting to blend from a sunrise to day to sunset to blackout

Either side of the badge will be a smaller stippled rectangular insert representing the light bar on the sheriffs car which will flash red and blue for pursuits

as for some of the design elements this game will be different in a few ways,
- no shooter lane as wanting to get that wide body feel and allow up to 4 inlanes to the flippers for future games
- why does the ball come from - either ejected from the barn / farm or shoots from the centre between the flippers - still working out the mechs. having a centre shooter means potentially just one mech to manage and shoot the balls.
- in the inlane leading to the flipper is a extra disc - this will be a stainless steel disc that can be swapped out and where balls will drop from the ramps so removes the potential for playfield divots in this area.
- and have Trudeau 7 1/8" flipper spacing

I am sure much of the design will change alot and I still want to have some random award type inserts for some fun mini modes but haven't thought those up yet - open for suggestions.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2016, 02:27:03 PM »
sounds really good Dude.  Is this using an existing table OR from scratch, sorry if you already stated this.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »
from scratch, new cabinet, new playfield, programming will be my major challenge

for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2016, 07:44:52 PM »
Have you programmed plc's? Maybe that's similar to pinball in concept. I can't see it being beyond you mate

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2016, 07:58:13 PM »
Have you programmed plc's? Maybe that's similar to pinball in concept. I can't see it being beyond you mate

No experience and know it will keep me busy but will give it a go.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinballowner

• Forum Posts:
  • Qld south of Brisbane
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2016, 08:55:01 PM »
Great theme.

1 3
Have you thought about a 4 speed gear shifter ( H pattern) to select player start?
                                                                 2 4

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2016, 10:20:00 PM »
Great theme.

1 3
Have you thought about a 4 speed gear shifter ( H pattern) to select player start?
                                                                 2 4

that is a very cool idea  ^^^

for pinball t-shirts