Author Topic: Last Action Hero  (Read 6711 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Last Action Hero
« on: October 25, 2008, 04:04:48 PM »
Well I just picked up my new Last Action Hero from Mark!  Very happy thus far for my 'as is' pin!

Being a used Data East I am expecting some teething issues but its all part of the fun.  I was well briefed about where to look which was extremely helpful.  BTW everything powers up and a few switches / coils need attention but thats about it, + rubbers, flippers and some globes...

The cab was dirty, drinks, burns and even some blood I think!.  I found a product at Bunnings called Oomph.  On a rag (test spot first) but it removed the gum, grime blood and filth.  Wipe down with clean rag then a light clean with a magic eraser.  Awesome!

My question is the clear ramp at the rear and the clear plastics (ones which sit behind the slings and run down to flippers) and some clear posts has a tint to it...I don't know if its grime or what...I've tried novis but has not really done much.  Is there anything I can soak them in to try to get them back to clear?

Marty
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 05:43:56 PM by MartyJ »

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
Re: Last Action Hero
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 07:48:46 PM »
thanks mate

glad you made it home ok

now the hard stuff I see   

Nifti  will be your friend ......

should come a treat 

good luck

mark

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 08:20:33 PM »
Hehe, thanks Mark....I'm quite happy doing the hard yards...The cab has come up to about 98%...The headbox still needs a bit more but I will follow your advise on that too...The  PF is coming up very nicely too!  I'm very happy so thanks again.

I'm not sure what has stained the ramps / posts...I know black rubbers can be very dirty...Maybe it was from one of 'those' coffee shops in Amsterdam??!  Lots of smoke stains maybe?...Even the undersides of the sling plastics were brown...They cleaned up nicely though!

So will soaking in nifty clean the ramps?  I'm not ready to try the flame method yet....

Just need to find a decal set for targets / crane!  Marco's had them but none in stock :-(

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 08:58:05 PM »
Hehe, thanks Mark....I'm quite happy doing the hard yards...The cab has come up to about 98%...The headbox still needs a bit more but I will follow your advise on that too...The  PF is coming up very nicely too!  I'm very happy so thanks again.

I'm not sure what has stained the ramps / posts...I know black rubbers can be very dirty...Maybe it was from one of 'those' coffee shops in Amsterdam??!  Lots of smoke stains maybe?...Even the undersides of the sling plastics were brown...They cleaned up nicely though!

So will soaking in nifty clean the ramps?  I'm not ready to try the flame method yet....

Just need to find a decal set for targets / crane!  Marco's had them but none in stock :-(

might have some decals   let me check monday  for you

keep doing the hard yards  it will clean up nice

mark

Offline coolspot

• Forum Posts:
  • traralgon vic
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 08:59:27 PM »
looks ok ive seen it <.> today  :lol

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 09:32:01 PM »

Congrats on the new machine - always fun picking up projects.

Try cleaning the ramp with nifti and an old paintbrush for starters.. Then novus 1 and finally novus 2. You should be ok ..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 09:40:48 PM »
I've spent about 7 straight hrs cleaning today so I'm a little tired.  I was planning to get the ramp out tonight and soak, but there is a little gate thing in the middle which I cant find the right allen key to remove it...Oh well will try tomorrow.

Thanks Strangeways, I'll give it a go.  I tried with a little novis 1 in the corner and my cloth came off black so I think its working....

I reckon its the best thing about buying an as is machine.  Taking something completely filfthy home, spending hrs cleaning it and getting great results..

The worst bit is I cant play it yet....But soon!     #*#

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 09:45:23 PM »
I reckon its the best thing about buying an as is machine.  Taking something completely filfthy home, spending hrs cleaning it and getting great results..

I can see how it could be fun...

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 11:13:12 PM »

It is fun.. Well for me and many others !!

Attack the ramp with Nifti first. This will lift most of the crap off. Novus 1 ONLY will mix the crap around like a paste, and it will be hard to take off. Warm to hot water in a bucket with a couple of caps of nifti.. Put the nifti in first, so when you pour the water in, it creates a foam. Drop the ramp in the water and let it soak for an hour.. If it has decals - be very careful, you should not soak.. just attack with warm/Hot water and nifti..

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 10:48:10 AM »
No decals (well none on mine anyway!)

Before:

After:

Awesome...Thanks again guys.  Great advise!

Can you use Nifty (on a rag) on a PF?  There is dirt the same on upper pf which I think novis will struggle with.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 10:52:52 AM by MartyJ »

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 10:58:26 AM »

Are you sure that's the same Ramp ?? %.%

Excellent work..Nifti cleans anything - EXCEPT - Playfield plastics !

Here's a tip - Remove the two metal ball guides, and "regrain" them with 360 grit wet/dry sandpaper and windex.. They will look new. If you have a buffing wheel, polish the four screws - if you don't have a buffing wheel - Grab some Brasso, a couple of drops on a rag and then rub the head of the screw on the rag.... Put it bacj together - Would take 5 minutes  #*#

Never spray anything on the playfield.. First pass of a filthy playfield - Grab a old ice cream container and half fill with water.. Spray nifti 3 or 4 times into the container and dip the rag in to the container - clean the playfield.. This prevents any liquid going directly on the playfield..

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 05:12:40 PM »
Dont be scared to flame polish them, they need to be super clean first, just take your time

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 09:50:18 PM »

great work Marty
the ramp looks  fantasic

your parts will be sent 

mark

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 07:31:59 AM »
They look great, well done!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 10:21:34 PM »
They look great, well done!

Thanks guys...I've completely stripped playfield, cleaned, cleaned and cleaned again.....I'm about half way cleaning metal guides (not sure what they are called)...I've jiffy cleaned the gunk off them, then used the polishing wheel on the dremel with some of the clay stuff?  The first one came up very nice...

Pop bumpers have been cleaned, mylar installed on centre section of PF - where gold 'admit one' ticket is - as aparently they wear really badly there (slight on mine) down over the top of arnie's chest where there was some small wear as well (as recommended by Ian from Marks).  Second time I have installed mylar and 100% no bubbles, creases and almost invisible.  I've started re-globing the GI on sides of PF, all plastics are like new (novus 1 only) just waiting on rubbers and flippers & new balls (all 6!)

Batteries have been replaced with new Energizer AA's (just need to get the cable tie thing replaced)...The connectors in the backbox all look OK, none burnt.  I have not touched the boards..I'll read up on Marvin's site first but I'll leave them until there is a problem...

I will let the mylar settle for a couple of days (I have been advised this - hopefully correct) then apply maguries wax...

The next step - and my question for the experts here - is I've filled the corners of the backbox and I'm ready to paint.  Mark recommended T8 paint - but I've been to Bunnings and they did not know.  Can anybody recommend what black to use? - I would prefer to brush it on too and is the paint a full gloss, semi or flat?