Author Topic: Random reset on LAH (fixed!)  (Read 7720 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Random reset on LAH
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2008, 08:23:46 PM »
Oops should also add that the grn-red wire drives switches 9-16.

OK...I am a little confused now..Sorry..

The GRN-RED wire (which is now yellow) has been replaced from PIN 2 on CN8.  I am guessing that it has broken at some stage and the OP has rewired.  The original GRN-RED still connects from trough 1 to trough 6.  The yellow goes from trough 7 & shooter lane to other side of playfield plug (connecting to GRN-RED) then yellow to above.

The GRN-BRN (pin 1) is plumb tilt to launch trigger?

Offline humpalot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2008, 08:53:02 PM »
Straight from the schematics is what I've been quoting.  There IS NO WIRE ON PIN 1.  Please remove it.

I'd guess that that the wire that is currently on pin 1 is the discoloured wire that should be on pin2, hence the switch problem that you are having.  Fix it and report back.

Check previous post for connector pin wiring, that is straight off the schematic for this game YOUR GAME IS CURRENTLY WIRED WRONG.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2008, 09:25:57 PM »
Wire on PIN 1 GRN-BRN removed.  Double checked yellow hack and is definately connected to GRN-RED @ PIN2.

When Spinner, ball trough 3 switches activated & flipper reports ball shooter & trough 7 still.

No credit switch or trigger launch since removing GRN-BRN..

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2008, 09:54:29 PM »
Wire on PIN 1 GRN-BRN removed.  Double checked yellow hack and is definately connected to GRN-RED @ PIN2.

When Spinner, ball trough 3 switches activated & flipper reports ball shooter & trough 7 still.

No credit switch or trigger launch since removing GRN-BRN..

Is there a cut grn-red wire near the hack connector under the playfield?

If so use your DMM to check continuity of this grn-red wire with the cut wire under the playfield or if you can't find a cut grn-red wire then continuity check another of the grn-red wires that go to other switches. 

THE HACK APPEARS TO BE THE PROBLEM WITH YOUR MACHINE.  UNTIL THIS FIXED THERE IS NO POINT DOING ANYTHING ELSE.

If it was me I'd completely remove the whole hack and start again, I like to keep all wiring original where possible.

Welcome to the world of container pin hacks  :D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 10:09:36 PM by humpalot »

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2008, 10:04:39 PM »
The schematic shows that there is a note for switches 1-8.  However there is nothing further there.  I'll have a look at my machine and post what I find.

The schematic is missing something  @.@

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2008, 10:16:14 PM »
 !*! !*!schematics.  I was reading straight out of an original copy of the schematics and the wiring for the CN8 is clearly missing any reference to a wire at pin 1.  However the switch matrix does show it.

My apology, you are correct the grn-brn wire does go to pin 1 of the connector and controls switches 1-8 PLEASE RE ATTACH IT.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2008, 10:18:20 PM »
The schematic shows that there is a note for switches 1-8.  However there is nothing further there.  I'll have a look at my machine and post what I find.

The schematic is missing something  @.@

No stress....I appreciate your help!

The red has been cut in the backbox.  The yellow is definately hacked into the red.  The other end of red is under PF...I've gone over it and the yellow is definately in the place of GRN-RED.
The naughty wire at PIN1 (GRN-??).  I've traced it back, managed to cut myself in the process, is one which goes back to plumb, coins, credit, slam and trigger....

I think you are right re the plug...Maybe when its been soldered (pin 1 & 2) as they have melted plastic when under load they are shorting between the two??? I ran the buzz from one, and it didn't pick up the other but just a thought - apart from the hacks....  I am happy to remove the yellow, but I suspect its been done for a reason as the GRN-RED may have been pinched somewhere....
Anyhoo.  Enough for tonight...Need to glue my finger back on and spend a little time with the boss....
I can't find the replacement plug on Marks site either...Have they a special name?

Thanks

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:42:47 PM by MartyJ »

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2008, 10:17:17 AM »
I've ordered some molex connectors from Mark so hopefully these will fit...

I'm not 100% confident it will fix the problem but needs to be done....

I have replaced about 80% of switch diodes thus far....Not too sure what next step should be.  I guess replace the diode under crane assembly which will complete that row/column.

From memory I had tested transisters on CPU Q48 onwards and they were OK.  Nil further done ie resistors etc...

Clays guide suggests a shorted switch can cause similar issues.  Now is this a diode which causes short, or physical short - ie pin touching metal etc...

As far as the flipper board goes, I'm still tempted to buy a PinLED / Rottendog replacement but will cost me about $200.00 to get in...

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2008, 10:43:08 AM »

Molex connectors can be cut to fit - so that won't be an issue. Hopefully you have a crimper ?

A "shorted" switch that Clay refers to is most likely an internal short within a switch. I would not spend the $$ on the board - It the problem IS a shorting switch then it would be a waste of $200..

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2008, 11:01:20 AM »
I have a crimper.  Last time I molex on my arcade machine I used my leatherman...Hopefully Mark's will come with pins for it??

I guess the million dollar question is should I look upstream or downstream for dodgy switch?  Everything seems to centre around the damm spinner.  I have a spare ball trough switch which I may swap blade on to see...

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2008, 07:39:41 PM »
OK.  Firstly BIG thanks to Humpalot (again & again) for his patience and persistance with advice on my reset issues and also Strangeways with his advice and assistance too.  Once again this IS the best Aussie Pinball forum!

OK, for me I've learnt heaps about reading schematics and switch matrix's and certainly understand how they work and where to look for errors.  Also, the old KISS principle for me.  Although I changed just about every diode on the playfield switches I should have taken the simple step of not assuming the switches were OK just because they were working (and reporting working in diagnostics).  Also I was looking at possible issues all around what was staring me in the face.  The spinner switch when activated was central to all other phantom reports of switches opening...Just because the spinner was working fine doesn't mean the switch itself is healthy.

I replaced the switch (bit of a hack job really, I got some ball trough switches from Mark, swapped blades and new spinner switch), and now no issues.  Well, certainly no trough 7 or shooter lane phantom openings which may have been playing havoc with the switch matrix.
I can't say for certain this will fix the random reset issue.  This I wont know until further game play but I suspect it probably will.

Things to do: Will replace dodgy CN8 connector asap.  Have parts now (and mostly ordered) to rebuild power supply.  This may not be needed yet but perhaps a job to come.  Continue to play and see if original issue of reset occurs, buy another project machine from Mark!

Thanks again to everyone   #*# #*# #*# #*# #*# #*#

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Random reset on LAH (fixed!)
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2008, 08:10:26 PM »
Great to hear. That's what this place is about. Helping each other. I love it.  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2008, 09:01:13 PM »

Great News !

It is a great learning experience for you Marty - and it will give you the confidence to repair your machines in the future. As you said - you can target project games and KNOW you can fix them up.

Good work - and special thanks to Mick (again)...

#*#
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2008, 09:19:27 PM »
Awesome stuff - great to hear youve solved the issues.
I only have 1 rule when fixing stuff and thats if ive assumed then ive gone wrong.

We need more success stories....wheres that guy with the SYS7 board down???? %.% %.% %.% %.%

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2008, 08:15:52 PM »
Dormant !  ^.^ Too busy to think....ahhh the joys of xmas !
Some people have big HEADS !